Ad blocking software recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eezak, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Can anyone suggest some good ad blocking software? Not something to block popups, but rather banner ads embedded in web pages, and ads that enlarge when you inadvertently mouse over them. I know that internet services, including web sites (like this great one here at MG) have to be paid for somehow. But ads on some sites are becoming obnoxious and intrusive . Kudos to MG for being a class act in this regard as it is in so many other ways.

I'm interested in both good freeware and commercial/fee software if it has the capability to filter out banner ads and ads that enlarge (come to think of it, maybe some of those ads do "pop up" when moused over) when you mouse over them and then you have to click on them to close them. Or can some of these types of ads be controlled by turning off browser features that aren't really needed? (Flash or Active X controls or whatever -- though I have most Active X stuff turned off already I think or at least set to require a confirmation before they're allowed to run).

Of course companies want us to look at their ads, but if, figuratively (or literally) speaking they shove something in my face (by enlarging their ad through my only inadvertently moving my mouse over it, not by clicking on it) or popping it up when I mouse over it, I don't care what they're selling, I've already decided I don't want to do business with them! It's the equivalent, to my way of thinking, of a salesman (the old door-to-door type -- remember those?) putting his foot in the door when you try to close it. Or actually more like looking up and finding one in your living room who says "Hey, your front door was unlocked so I assumed it was fine for me to just walk right in to try to sell you something!"

Of course, when I go to a website I'm in someone else's virtual space and I accept they have a right to run ads to pay for server bandwidth, maintenance and to make as much profit as they can. But ad practices (I'm talking about the way the ads are implemented/programmed not the content) are becoming increasingly obnoxious on the net.

Anyone else have any thoughts or reflections on the move towards more obnoxious advertising practices online or some good ad blocking software recommendations, either freeware or commercial?

And what about browser tweaks that can control/eliminate obnoxious ads? I use Firefox except when a website doesn't display properly.

Are there any online petitions to major ad offenders to let them know we won't buy their products or services if they engage in obnoxious ad practices?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions on this issue.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Firefox has the WONDERFUL extension called, Ad Block Plus.

With this, you subscribe to a 'Filter list' that stores addresses to block. The very seldom time, you'll see an add that is NOT on this list, but it can be added with a simple right-click.

HIGHLY recommend this extension.

3. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Great! Thank you both for the info and suggestions for the Firefox addon and related tools. I'll look into those.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

AdMuncher is worth the money. I bought three copies and have it on four computers. (Because I purchased the product before a certain date, I could put it only more than one computer). It blocks everything in your choice of browser, IE, FF or Opera. I have all three installed and I do fire up IE and Opera once in a blue moon.
    I'm only sad that is doesn't work in linux so when browsing in linux I use AdBlock Plus.
    There is a 30 day trial so you can browse and see how much faster pages load and all the things you don't want taking up desktop real estate are gone replaced by a [ munched ] message. If you want to see a page with everything, you can disable filtering and refresh the page.
    http://www.admuncher.com/

5. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Thank you also plodr. I'll take a look at AdMuncher too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds