RealTek Onboard Audio with ASUS P5N-E SLi in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rowain, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

I'm about ready to tear my hair out over this one.

I recently formatted my C drive and installed Windows XP Professional SP3. Here's the thing - I originally had Vista Ultimate on this drive, AS WELL as on a partition on a SECOND drive in my system. I originally planned to dual boot XP/Vista, however after installing XP, I no longer get the Boot Manager prompt when starting up as I did when I had two Vista installs. I figure it's because XP doesn't want to recognize the bootfile on the partition on the other drive.

To make things less confusing, I'll try to label my hard drives:

My C Drive will be known as "Seagate", as it's a Seagate SATA300 with 500GB of storage.
    My other Drive, F, will be called "Western Digital" or "WD", as it's a SATA300 WD drive with 500GB capacity. So C = Seagate, F = Western Digital.

Now I partitioned 50GB on Western Digital using Vista's disk manager (I was booted under Seagate at the time). I installed Vista again on this new partition, called G, and was booting under this for awhile. Whenever I'd restart, I would get prompted by the boot manager whether I wanted to boot "Windows Vista" or "Windows Vista", which makes sense as I had two boot files - one on C, one on G.

NOW, getting closer to my problem.

The other night, I decided I wanted to roll one drive back to XP. I only had Vista installed twice because of an old problem that I won't bother going into detail here. Since G was my favoured boot, I decided to format C, thinking that my Vista install on G would be fine. And it is... all my datas there, but I can't boot to it. Windows XP has reassigned drive letters too - F has become D, and G has become E. It's still RECOGNIZING that G is a separate partition from F, the physical drive, but won't boot from it. Setting the Western Digital drive to boot priority in the BIOS just gives me the Boot Mgr Missing error and prompts me to restart.

---------MAIN PROBLEM STARTS HERE-----------

So basically until I figure this out, or reinstall Vista on C, Seagate, I'm stuck with XP. Which isn't a terrible thing EXCEPT....

I've got no bloody sound!!!

I've got the ASUS P5N-E SLi Motherboard, which uses RealTek onboard audio chipsets. I've done numerous searches but can't seem to resolve the issue that A LOT of people seem to have. Basically, Windows just won't recognize that I've got an audio device installed. Sound worked FINE under Vista, a somewhat hilarious irony given Vista's notoriety for general instability.

Here's my hardware/OS breakdown:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 v3311
    Intel E6600 Core2Duo CPU
    ASUS P5N-E SLi Motherboard http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=473&l4=0&model=1474&modelmenu=1
    Corsair C6400 2x1GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
    EVGA 8800 GTX 768MB
    2x500GB SATA300 Hard Drives (One Seagate, one Western Digital) No RAID Setup

Under device manager, I've got one unknown PCI device under "Other Devices". My only sound card is the onboard sound on the mobo. Under Sound Device, I've got Audio Codecs and Legacy Audio Drivers, both "apparently" functioning properly. There's no Microsoft sound driver or anything under System devices.

And yes, Onboard Sound is enabled in the BIOS. :p

Sorry, I know that was practically a novel but I wanted to include any REMOTELY relevant information from the get go. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Additionally, regarding the "PCI Device" that isn't working properly under "Other devices": I've tried searching for drivers via Windows XP's hardware installation thingy but it finds none. Tried pointing it to my DVD drive while my mobo support CD was in and it didn't help.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It wouldn't hurt to reinstall your motherboard chipset. This aids in detecting the hardware on it and helps the drivers to be recognized. Do this before the next steps. (Make sure to shut down and re-boot after installing it)
    Make sure these drivers go to the partition with XP on it
    nVidia Chipset Driver 8.26 for Windows XP

Follow these steps all the way through;
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)

Uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. (It's a good possibility that is your unknown device) When you do this, you should be able to install the Realtek drivers.
    Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)

KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Install your audiodriver, then do a complete shut down and re-boot.
    Realtek ALC883 Audio Driver WHQL V5.10.0.5324 for XP

3. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

Here's the thing - I can't find that update in the Registry (there's no Updates subfolder in the directory you've given) and Ctrl F doesn't find it either. I've also attached what my Device manager looks like for System devices and Sound and video game devices. Bear (bare?) in mind that this is a relatively fresh XP install.

I uninstalled the unknown PCI device. Downloading the chipset drivers, but might have to wait until after work to install... that's what you get when your mobo's website is based in Taiwan or something and you can't download faster than a sad 5KB/s from it. :p

At any rate, I've noticed how dedicated you are in helping people with these ridiculous drivers musksnipe, so even if I never get it working, you're my hero.

Attached Files:

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You didn't have Realtek in the Add/Remove list either?
    That is probably a good thing that your device manager and registry are clean of Realtek.
    If you have tried to install the drivers before, they may have ended up on the Vista partition by accident. So be careful and make sure you point the installs towards your XP partition.

Make sure the Windows Audio service is running.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked

If you have noticed my threads, then you know there a few other things we may have to try if this doesn't work. Just bear with me and hopefully we get your sound back.

5. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

Oh, I did have RealTek in the Add/Remove, forgot to mention. It's uninstalled from previous attempts right now. When I uninstalled it in the past, it errors, but completes anyway and prompts me to restart. I do, and it's gone from the Add/Remove when I'm back so I assume it's been uninstalling properly.

Audio Service is running properly.

Also, I doubt my Vista partition is being recognized at all so I'm sure it's defaulting to the XP partition. All other programs I've installed have defaulted to C, the XP partition.

6. hockey3

hockey3 Private E-2

I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you are. I just formated my vista ultimate install in favor of of windows xp with sp3. I am having the same problem trying to install my realtek audio drivers, after I install them nothing happens and the only way I can tell the install did something is that it shows up in add/remove programs. There is not any evidence that there installed in the device manager at all. I also get the same error message when I try to uninstall it but like you it still finishes and prompts me to reboot my computer. This is a very weird problem I never expected to have because Ive had windows xp with sp2 installed on my machine with all the same hardware as now. So I'm thinking the problem probably has to do with sp3 being installed this time. Let me know what you think.

p.s I have formatted my computer a few times trying various things, nothing has helped.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ hockey3 & Rowain

If you followed the steps above and then reinstalled Realtek, shut down your PC and re-booted and it is showing in Add/Remove but not Device Manager, you may need to install the UAA. It is supposed to be part of the Realtek driver packages but.....
    Anyway here it is:
    Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

There is another thing to try if this doesn't work. Let me know.

8. hockey3

hockey3 Private E-2

thanks for the help but it didn't work. I think I'm going to try formatting once again and instead using sp2.

9. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

Yeah unfortunately it didn't help me either. I'm pretty much back to square one.

Installed latest chipset drivers from mobo site
    Have tried numerous releases of the RealTek drivers
    Tried the UAA Drivers from the Softpedia link

Whatever this PCI Device is that the system can't find anything for, it keeps showing up every time I reboot if I uninstall it. I'm also considering reformating for SP2, but I'll hold off till you reply back, musksnipe.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Here is another possibility. Work through these steps carefully.

Scenario One
    1. You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
    * Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
    * Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Scenario Two
    1.. You DON’T have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Go to the Control Panel and run “Add Hardware”
    * When the Add Hardware Wizard appears, click Next
    * Wait for it to search for new hardware
    * Choose Yes, I have already connected the hardware and click Next
    * Scroll all the way down and select “Add a new hardware device”, click Next
    * Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)”, click Next
    * Select “Show All Devices” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Under Model, select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator”, click Next
    * To start installing the drivers, click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Your audio device should now be recognized in Sounds and Audio Devices.

11. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

I'm guessing my chances of getting this working are slim because I don't even have a inf directory (or Machine.inf file) in C:/Windows. I searched for machine.inf over the entire C and didn't find it. :(

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have your Windows CD, you can do a repair install.

Make sure you have your valid Windows XP key.
    The whole process takes about half an hour depending on your computer
    If you are being prompted for the administrators password you need to choose the 2nd repair option, not the first.
    1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD
    2. At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
    3. This will start the repair
    4. Press F8 for I Agree at the Licensing Agreement
    5. Press R when the directory where WindowsXP is installed is shown. Typically this is C:\WINDOWS
    6. It will then check the C: drive and start copying files
    7. It will automatically reboot when needed. Keep the CD in the drive.
    8. You will then see the graphic part of the repair that is like during a normal install of XP (Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, Finalizing Installation)
    9. When prompted, click on the Next button
    10. When prompted, enter your XP key
    11. Normally you will want to keep the same Workgroup or Domain Name
    12. The computer will reboot
    13. Then you will have the same screens as a normal XP Install
    14. Activate if you want (usually a good idea)
    15. Register if you want (but not necessary)
    16. Finish
    17. At this point you should be able to log in with any existing accounts.

13. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

OH MY GOD I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!

WOW. What a freaking nightmare. but I fixed it, and I hope this fixes it for the other chap.

I found my solution here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=209905

And the file I used:

http://rs26.rapidshare.com/files/85...chitecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0.7z

To quote the solution:

"Hey Lappie,

I had the same issues with my Toshiba X205 after a fresh SP3 installation.
    Download the attachment I made, unpack it into your folder of choice.
    Then move over to the control panel and select that "PCI Device". Rightclick and install the audio bus drivers I provided for the PCI Device. During installation Windows should find something like Microsoft UAA Bus driver, I don't know the exact name. Do a restart after installation and everything should work fine."

That unknown PCI device WAS the audio driver, as musksnipe hypothesized. I selected "Update Driver" from the Device Manager and pointed it to where I had extracted the file from the rapidshare link I posted. It asked me for a few files through the installation process but after I had got it going, it was pretty easy to figure out what it wanted and where to point the install.

MAN am I glad to have this resolved. Musksnipe, thank you so much for all your help. Even though my problem was different from what others have had with RealTek, you've been very very helpful in eliminating possible problems.

hockey3, lemme know if this works or if you have any further questions. I did several virus scans on that rapidshare file and everything seems clean.

Seriously, you don't know how much you miss sound until you're forced to go without...

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thanks for posting your fix, Rowain.
    There are many folks that need it and if it works with Realtek HD on any PC, it's going to get used a lot.

15. Rowain

Rowain Private E-2

I swear, at work, I was almost ready to start a mockup design for a website devoted to solving realtek audio problems, haha.

In fact, the thought occured to me for a blog-ish website that specialized in collecting problems and solutions for common PC ailments, ie certain drivers and onboard peripherals not working on certain Operating Systems or Service Packs.

I dunno, I just know googling for a person with the same problem is really frustrating.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Realtek installs have been a real bear to solve lately. They have absolutely no support at their site which, i just can't believe. Your type of problem was one that has seemed almost unsolvable.
    The first fix I gave you is a compilation of fixes worked out by folks and other fixes that I found on the 'net. It worked about 50% of the time. The next fix solved a few more problems.
    I never stumbled across the one you supplied. I downloaded the file, just in case it disappears off that site. That way I can still pass it along.
    Now maybe I'm armed well enough to solve all the Realtek problems.
    Thanks again for sharing it. ;)

17. hockey3

hockey3 Private E-2

glad you got it working. I just formated and installed xp with service pack 2 and it worked fine. I think I'll wait until its officially released then try installing sp3 again.

18. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Private E-2

I've signed up to these forums purely to say a hestitant thanks for this fix. I have just installed windows with service pack 3 on a new P.C build for my little cousin and was about to tear my hair out wondering why the sound wasn't working! Exact same problem as listed here.

It's late now but I'm hoping this fix will work when I try tomorrow. P.C's eh :confused

19. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Private E-2

Just to say thanks a lot - it worked like a charm :)

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Closed as a [Solved]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds