5 Year Old Sony Vaio Question... RS220 Model

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by old sony, Nov 19, 2009.

1. old sony

old sony Private E-2

I have a Sony Vaio PCV RS220 computer. i recently bought a 2.8ghz p4 with HT socket 478 processor to replace the one that crapped out on me. The stock cpu was a 2.5ghz p4 w/o HT. This stuff is so old that im having trouble finding the answer to my problem...

The problem is that my computer will only read the new processor at 1.4ghz, cutting the clock in half! The FSB is also only reading at 100mhz when it should clearly be 200. It isnt as simple as tweaking a setting in a Sony, they have the bios under lock and key.

Can anyone tell me how to get my processor to run at the 2.8ghz its supposed to? Or how to up the FSB?

If you need any other specs just ask, ill give you whatever info you need.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I would try and find a bios update. Sounds like a BIOS issue and a bios flash may help.

3. old sony

old sony Private E-2

bios is not the issue. i think the issue is that the mobo cant handle the 800mhz fsb at its default setting. is this something anyone knows how to fix w/o buying a new mobo? i know it can handle 533 cuz thats whats in there.

thx in advance.

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Can you tell me which motherboard is in the pc?

5. old sony

old sony Private E-2

kirin-v intel 845g chipset or something like that. thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds