New Desktop just arrived!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oma, Dec 20, 2011.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

Dell Vostro 460 (small business) That was fast after having had to reorder it Dec 14. Love the PRO Support as I had to call them already prior to its arrival about some info.

Bit hesitant, to put it mildly in getting to know Win 7, best to stick my toes first into the water rather than jumping in eh? :-o Tomorrow an IT Tech will come in to transfer all the files etc to the new PC. Purchased a book: Windows 7 for dummies. Now don't laugh as my physician bought the same book as well. :-D

Wish me luck eh, I need it!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good luck Oma, I am sure you will get into the swing of Win7!! ;)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey good stuff oma and have fun with your new PC, the specs look great and as I mentioned in email I like the design of that PC, clear and simple lines.

Never worth dipping a toe in when you can put the whole foot in ;)

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks TimW! Bet it won't be in the swing of things but rather being on a rollercoaster for me with more downs than ups. :-o To know thyself is a good thing. ;)

5. TimW

At least you know where to come to if you have questions!! ;)

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yup, very simple lines and matches perfectly with the Epson AIO Printer I purchased in August as well as the new multimedia keyboard. No instructions manual though!

Found Mike Halsey's free ebook online in PDF, 127 pages. Did download it but forgot to bookmark the site where I got it from. Lots of excellent info in it. He also has some vids on YouTube on Win7. Hmm, my toes are short so in one way or another will have to take the plunge somehow. If you hear any screams across the pond, you'll know it's coming from me. :-D

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks! Indeed, and know that I will take full advantage of it. Thanks to MG I progressed from a pre-noob to a noob, :-D compared to the MG out here. Why does technology have to develop that rapidly? :cry

8. TimW

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. TimW

No problem. ;)

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

Win 7 setup done! *sigh* I'm almost lost. Did download the most important programs. and created folders on the toolbars on the Taskbar for easy access. Just like in XP, thanks to DavidGP. :major Now scurrying over to support forum to ask some questions. :-D (Oooh, do I ever miss XP now like pressing the Windows key and the *e* key to access Windows Explorer)

12. DavidGP

Good stuff glad the quick guide helped!

You'll do ok with Win7, its not the beast most think it is when moving from XP to Win7, actually I find it much easier and more user friendly and this is from an old XP user head.

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, it did help a lot, although I had saved the instructions on how to do it in XP but didn't know that would also work on Win 7. Noooo, I don't find Win 7 easier than XP. Must be your expertise in having had so many different versions of Windows and being an MVP. Don't forget that I just started out in 2003 with XP and had no prior knowledge of anything. Did spend the first few years only on forums and not really learning much, just self taught and that with an old brain that's fogged up most of the time. :-D

Looked at startup and gosh, so many in them and not recognized at all. This PC has more than double GB (OS) on it compared to the old PC HDD which had only about 12 GB total used on it and was 90% free space. That freaked me out already.

14. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

15. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks for the links mjnc. 500 GB with 38 MB used. Free space is now 414 GB. Must be the 64 bit and Win 7? I did check out many reviews about the Vostro prior to purchasing it but read your links anyway. The specs on there are not mine. I did select a more el cheapo version since it would be overkill for me.

16. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I'm sure you meant 38 GB used, but still the numbers don't look right.

All drives end up having less than the stated capacity once it has been partitioned and formatted.

Just wondering if the entire drive is partitioned as C: or if some space was left unallocated.

You might want to install Partition Wizard Home Edition or EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition just to see what the drive space and partitions look like.
    Maybe there is a simpler way to do that, but that's what I thought of.

Anyway, it's good to have one of those with a boot CD prepared, just in case, although you have that excellent support contract.

17. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, the IT Tech who came over here to transfer my files and folders from XP to Win 7 also burned recovery disks of the OS. That's in addition to a re-installation disk I received from Dell. I've got a Seagate external disk to which I will backup all my personal files and folders and will be looking around for a free backup program such as Macrium Reflect.

I noticed that my pics, videos, documents and music were shown twice, e.g. in Public Music and My Music. That of course doubled the size. Oh, I know that a 500 GB disk is in reality less, in my case, it's 452 GB. Over 40 Windows updates since last Wednesday. :( Thanks mjnc.

18. DavidGP

Hi oma

The space is pretty representative of what would be left after formatting (500GB HDD tends roughly to end up being 450GB +/-10GB) and from the Windows 7 install as you will have some folders and native applications duplicated for x64 and x86 and for an example.

You will have noticed two Program Files folders in Program Files and Program Files x86, there are also two lots of regedit.exe's a native 64bit one and a legacy 32bit, and many registry keys may have duplicates (system files folder has a wow64node), and so on.

Macrium Reflect works in Win7 ok as the installer has the 32/64bit files and will install the correct ones on install, other free one are Easyus ToDo which is good and I have used both.

As for the pics, docs and music, those should if in the case of My Music and Public Music, list the same location of storage in both libraries so the actual size is not duplicated, its just a way to share pictures, media etc with various user groups.

although I do tend not to have any files on the main C drive, they are in a secondary drive, which leads me to you can weed out the access to the public side of a Folder (Public Music) however if you allow others on a network to share your music, they will loose this access unless you add them by name or PC# so you can add or delete these libraries, I would have a backup of any media, docs etc first, but I do tend to start with removing any surplus libraries.

Yeah the 40 updates was a big one for you and will have covered a few months of updates and/or Office updates as that seems to have had a few of late.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds