A call to folding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Speculant, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

My brothers, my sisters. From the mist shrouded image boards and forums of the Internets, I bring you a message of solidarity, a call to action and a DEMAND for adherence to duty as members of the vanguard of a Folding@Home resurgence and ultimately total MajorGeeks victory (or at least our well-deserved place again in the top 100). :major

Get those machines folding! I have mine running 24/7 and plan to upgrade the CPU soon from an i5 to an i7 to boost my PPD up and over 10,000, although that is just a small drip in the ocean of the teams and users we are competing with. We need your help to regain our rightful place in the top 100 Folding@Home teams!

Download here: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    After you install, a web browser window will pop up asking you to set up an identity. Enter in 12072 as the team name, and enter in any username you wish.

When we work together as one, we can achieve anything! :highfive :grouphug

Side note: if you set up a passkey you can receive point bonuses!

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I had intended to do this on my unused WinXP desktop until Microsoft decided to no longer support XP. :( I think it is a good cause.

3. Speculant

You could always use Linux, if the computer you want to fold with is lower-powered, I would suggest Lubuntu. Lubuntu is a free, lightweight Linux distribution based on and compatible with all applications that work on the immensely popular Ubuntu distribution. Folding@Home will work perfectly on it!

the mekanic likes this.
  4. theefool

theefool Geekified

I plan on trying again to run my system for folding, it has been awhile. Just need to figure out the GPU folding portion again. I was pulling quite a bit. Currently at #7, but since there are no one really folding, and if I were to push, I probably could hit #2. When my new cards come in, I hope to see what they can pull. From what I hear, a 970 can pull in 295k ppd. I'm going to have two, then perhaps 3, down the road.

I think my all time high was 280K ppd, with the new cards hitting near 600k ppd would be nice.

5. Speculant

I feel the same, I'm currently pricing out a couple of ATI cards that will be within my price range, fold, and also can crossfire for gaming. I've heard pretty amazing things about Nvidia's 900 series, including out of this world PPD! If I had that kind of money though, I would pay off my student loans :p

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Heh, I had a couple 980s purchased, I thought, but got refunded, since their warehouse was sold out already. That came to $1100, but the two 970s were about $600 or so. I'm fine with that.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What is folding well these days? GPU was the king after CPU, what is best now, might toss some folding to MG's. I have a 6 core CPU, video card is not much to talk about, games well, but not high end.

8. Speculant

From what I've read on forums related to F@H and from the F@H FAQ, if it's an ATI/AMD card, it has to be a Radeon HD 5xxx or higher, and if it's a NVIDIA card it has to be a Fermi (400 series) card or higher. A 6 core processor should pull at least 10k PPD if not more, what model is it? AMD or Intel?

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

CPU is AMD FX6300, GPU is GTS 450 Nvidea style.

10. Speculant

According to what I found with some quick Google searches, you should be able to pull at least 10,000 PPD with that setup, maybe more if you set up a passkey! A benefit of AMD processors is they are usually pretty powerful for the price range :cool

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Think a few PC rebuilds and I forgot about this, used to run F@H a lot many years ago and moved in the early days to GPU folding, when I had a Matrox card! (shows how old). I just looked at the MG tam and I'm 54th! not good.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

As of now, pulling in about 383,184 PPD, hope to be higher the longer I run it. I find that running FULL on F@H is a good test to make sure your system is stable. The downfall is the electricity bill goes up a bit, and it gets very hot in your office.

13. Speculant

Yeah, electricity costs are a very main deterrent to F@H. I'm planning on building an ultra-efficient mini-itx rig for my next computer that has a lower-powered CPU but the highest powered passively cooled graphics card I can find, so my main overall goal is being able to cool the whole system with one or two 120mm-140mm fans and still being able to fold on it without it overheating.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Wish we had more. This was me, joining the team, I believe. Could be wrong.

Attached Files:

• me.png
      me.png
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  15. theefool

theefool Geekified

Note, I'll be doing this for a short time, not indefinite.

16. Speculant

It's all good man! Every little bit helps. :cool

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Who are you on this team, btw?

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Way to much resources taken up by F@H when I am using the computer. Do have it setup to run when idle.

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm running full, but modified the cpu usage to use 5 cores, instead of 12 cores. Otherwise, I'd be in the same boat as you. I can still play games if need be. Since my GPUs are the "money" makers.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Will have to look into that thefool. I should be able to game with 3 cores. I don't push the gaming envelope as much as you. Diablo 3 was running OK with only 4GB RAM and an old 2 core AMD. New machine is a bit better.

21. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

You know, some of us have quietly continued with the folding all this time... ;)

[​IMG]

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I still have a borg on my old team still cranking out a few points. :major

23. Speculant

I see you up there Mimsy! I'm catching up in throughput though, so watch out! I'm planning on installing CentOS on my main folding rig soon to try and squeeze out a few more PPD. I've heard that in certain cases it can increase by as much as 1,000 :drool

Attached Files:

24. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Does MGs still have a folding team EO(it used to be 12079)

I remember Augie and i always trying to get the most points.

I might consider starting again but will need to do some research as i have forgotton all the small tweaks we used to maximise our points.

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Team number is 12072 Bill.

26. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I will be joining for a while, where are the rankings found?

27. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

I gave up when they posted that they weren't going to support GPU folding for Nvidia cards anymore. I had just bought a decent card and wanted to fold with it. But if they didn't want to support it I'd do other things.

28. Speculant

They support Nvidia cards that are Fermi (400-series) or newer. The newest F@H software automatically detects GPUs and sets them up for you!

Also, rankings can be found at folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=12072

29. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

I have a GTX 650 Ti Boost. I've no idea if that's Fermi or not.

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

31. Speculant

Yep! That card is part of the 600 series, which came after the 400 series. It will work superbly for folding, probably better than most CPUs. Where did you read that F@H was dropping GPU support? You can download the Folding at Home client from their website, enter 12072 as the team number, any name you like, and it will automatically detect your GPU and start folding!

32. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

TheeFool, are you just running your 970's and CPU? Your 24 hour score really rocks!

33. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes. My PPD kinda sucks though, I'm hating the Fahcore 0x18's. But, I'm guessing the 0x17's were already taken.

I have cpu set as cpu:5, the rest as max.

This is decent, since I can still play games at max 1600p while folding.

34. theefool

theefool Geekified

But, this is not a race, so, whatever PPD I can provide is nice. I'll be number 3 here in about 2 weeks or so.

35. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

I don't know where I read it. They said some sort of cards were being fazed out and here's a list, which took me to Nvidia's website with nearly every card listed, including the one that I had just paid good money for. I was pissed. Although when I start reading up on GPU's I feel like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCah7IeFMdU

36. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I will probably stop when I hit 1M, my electrical bill is over $300 a month when I am not folding and folding bounces me into the next tier. :(

37. paramonks

paramonks Corporal

Am still folding, never left it. :-D

38. Speculant

Holy crap! :eek How do you rack up that much? Medical equipment? Home business? Hydroponics?

1M is a great goal though, I usually fold until I'm in the top 10 in our team and then I take a break until I'm not in the top 10 anymore. :p

I've been recently experimenting with folding on Microsoft Azure and Google Developers Console VMs, Google gives you a 60 day trial with $300 in credit and Microsoft gives you a 30 day trial with $200 in credit so there's an opportunity there to rack up some serious points for free! I'm just keeping a close eye on when it expires so I don't get hit with a bunch of charges.

39. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Actually $300 is common in my neighborhood. 3,000+ sq ft homes are kinda hungry. Toss in a couple of NAS, couple of 60" TV and a handful of computers then mix well with people too lazy to turn anything off.

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Somewhere in the world, at 30K feet in his private jet, the AlGore read your post, and a tear ran down his cheek.

:-D:-D

41. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

OK, got another order. Will stop at 2M. Dam these 290x can put out the heat.

42. theefool

theefool Geekified

Here are mine heat wise. I had some bad runs, but doing well. DOA you are doing awesome.

Attached Files:

• vid1.png
      vid1.png
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • vid2.png
      vid2.png
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
    • fh.png
      fh.png
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  43. theefool

theefool Geekified

Heat and fan speed on these new cards are nice, since my old 680 lightnings would rattle my case window. I had to put spacers on them to fix the noise it created. Also, in size comparison, these new cards are babies compared to the beasts I use to have.

For the price of these I'm happy with my purchase.

I know I can't compete to those who can pull 700k+ on their 4p boxes. I just do this for fun.

44. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

WTH, I am testing a quad 290x system and F@H gave me Project 13001.
    12.6 days allowed and 251 days estimated to complete.
    Did I just get an impossible task for one of the most powerful desktops you can build?
    I will be pushing a mild OC soon and taxing a 1200 watt PSU, but I doubt I can come close to 10x the performance I am getting now and complete the project.

45. Speculant

They must have given you the ultimate assignment, reserved for only the top folders :-D I received a similar assignment one time for my lowly Geforce 620GT, it said the estimated remaining time was around 140 days. The work unit was gone a week later the next time I checked, so it was either an error with the servers or an error in the time estimation client-side.

46. theefool

theefool Geekified

Quad??? Wow!

Make me worried, since I'm also thinking of a quad 970s. Can't SLI 4 970s, can only do 3, but with folding it doesn't matter.

47. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I wish the quad system was mine. I am building it for my son's friend. As soon as it is burned in and stable running Crysis he will pick it up.
    Should get me to 4M, still no where near the stalwarts here.

48. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Did not have the quad 290x for long, no hope of gaining on theefool now that I am back to my own equipment.

49. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you were pulling 444k ppd on the quad?

Attached Files:

50. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

440K on the quad, but it only ran about 12 hours before the kid was banging on my door for it. I ran an OC 6990 for 12 as well. Running the quad and 6990 really heated up the room so I did not do that long. The quad alone will pull way more than 444K.
    I still have a dual 290X here and will run it until the guy picks it up.

No more rigs in the pipe and I will stop soon enough.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds