Does this seem suspicious to you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Jan 29, 2015.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Applied to a few jobs on craigslist and I got a reply back from one.

Let's say it was Linda from Company A in my state asking me email my resume in a different format. I didn't think that was a weird request. However, less than 5 minutes later I get the same exact (word for word) RE but this time from Janet from Company B in a different state asking the same request as Linda.

Does this sound strange to you or am I being overly paranoid? I've been contemplating now whether to comply with the request or not.

What do you guys think?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is a scam.

3. strollin

strollin Private E-2

It might not be legit but what does the "scammer" get out of it other than a copy of your resume?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In its most simplest form? Your email address. In a greater measure? Your resume that has information about you to customize more spam or a social engineering attempt. Then it leads to them asking personal details and you see where this is going.

This is not a new method, it is your typical social engineering tactic that people fall for often (not saying you dyamond).

Build a relationship based off the info and a false reason, and then get more info.

"We found a position for you and all we need to get you started on this job today is your social security number along with a 35 dollar application fee to cover our expenses."

I can't tell you how many job offers I've seen that require you to send information that will ruin you in the wrong hands. A simple google search of the company shows they have been at it for a while(in my case).

5. dyamond

I thought so. I did try looking the company up but they literally call themselves "A Company", the other was "M Company".

I, too, wondered what they had to gain considering you have to pay $25 to post a job on CL but then I went back and re-read the email. They offered up two websites for me to put my resume in sequential format (I googled that and I'm still unsure what that is) which of course I'd have to pay for, so maybe that's their game.

6. strollin

strollin Private E-2

It may lead to more down the road but they already have the email address as well as the original copy of the resume since it was a reply from a submission.

When they start asking for money, then it's an issue.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I wouldn't trust anything on Craig's list.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why are you fighting me on this? Replying back for a different resume format is a way for people to think they are legit, it lends credibility to the lie because they think it is a real recruiter. This one screwed up and sent dyamond the form email twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  9. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Could this be what's known as a, Phishing Scam, ?

10. strollin

strollin Private E-2

I wasn't aware I was "fighting you". I was merely trying to point out that, up to this point, even if the OP responded, the scammer had not gained a thing. Until they start asking for money or information they don't already have (such as SSN or CC#) there is nothing to be worried about.

11. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm very leery of it myself. And I had no idea people actually posted job offers on it! That feels pretty creepy as well.

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It seems you are trying to reassure dyamond if I'm reading this post right?

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It's been an awfully long time since I had to do a resume, but they typically include your address already. No searching necessary. So by sending one to someone, they have your full name, address, phone number, and email.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That said, I would never, ever, ever send out a resume online with my address.

15. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yeah, like I said, it's been a really long time. The last resume I sent was typed on a typewriter and mailed through the post office to a company I found in the newspaper want ads. I don't believe there even was internet then...I know for a fact I didn't have email. LOL

16. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

At first I was going to say it could be legit, and to just check if the person who contacted you is their HR manager.

But then...
    :-D

17. dyamond

I have a resume that just has my name, email and my google voice number (I never use my real phone number or anything online).

18. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Well, that's not at all creepy. :-D;)

19. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

We all know the info is out there and can be found with access to the right sites but without that access a mailing address and a phone number is about all that usually shows up in a regular simple search. At least that was my experience when searching for classmates addresses for a high school class reunion. Of course that was all I was interested in or searching for so did not look farther.
    You obviously did a deeper search than WhitePages.com

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Spokeo.

Thats all Im saying.

21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Like I said I was not looking for more and it was several years ago.

22. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm with Tim, Jen please do not be sucked in by scammers and while some listings on craigs list will be legit the majority are not, go with normal routes of job listings.

23. Hotpink724

Hotpink724 Private E-2

This is a scam. My daughter received an email asking her to put her resume in sequential formatting - I created her resume and it was already in sequential formatting. The individual provided two websites that offer templates. While the cost of the template is cheap the scam is that the company bills your credit card several times. There's plenty of emails going around. I have been a human resouces manager for 20 years - no employer is going to tell you to put your resume in sequential formatting, much less provide websites that sell templates.

The email she received has a company name that is very similar to a real company in New York. They don't have locations in Chino Hills California. I have been on several websites and the scammers are placing these ads on Craig's List and targeting the unemployed.

If you google "sequential formatting resume scam" you will get plenty of information on it.

24. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

My university offers a Craigslist-like site for students to sell and buy stuff on campus like cars, beds, college sport tickets (hockey is huge here), etc, and I still get scam mail every time I post something on there. No corner of the internet is completely safe, I'm afraid.

25. DavidGP

Jen as soon as I see the word craigslist I cringe and think scam, sad as it was a good platform for jobs etc, but really abused and not regulated by the owners, so really stay clear.

So how you doing of late? email me if not wanting to post publically.

26. DavidGP

Jen as soon as I see the word craigslist I cringe and think scam, sad as it was a good platform for jobs etc, but really abused and not regulated by the owners, so really stay clear.

So how you doing of late? email me if not wanting to post publically.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds