Processor to Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the-architect, Aug 10, 2006.

1. the-architect

the-architect Private E-2

I was wondering how I give my PC a new Processor.

I have what's been described to me as the worst processor for gaming however I have a dormant PC with a very good processor in it.

How do I swap them? Is it just simply a case of taking one out and putting another in or will this mean all manner of problems?

Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It could be a problem! CPUs use a whole whack of different slots. Newer CPUs' slots are named by the number of pins they have (eg Intel is commonly using LGA 775, and AMD is using socket 939), while older slots are given logical names (eg Intel once used socket 1, AMD socket A). Obviously, you cannot use a CPU with a different number of pins than the socket on the motherboard supplies.

Running a system information utility like EVEREST should tell you what type of socket each computer is using.

Find out this information, and if they are the same, we can give you further instructions.

Honestly though, I would say that RAM is usually a bigger factor for games than CPU. Post your system specs, and we might be able to give you better ways to tweak your system! Also, this link contains a list of software tweaks you can use to boost performance.

3. the-architect

IQon Technologies
    Intel (R)
    Celeron R CPU 2.93 Ghz
    2.93 Ghz 480mb RAM

I also norice that my C drive has this name.

Partition 1 ( C: )

Does this mean that half my PC is dormant? It's how I got it from the shop.

4. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Dude, upgrade your RAM to a 1024mb(1gig), 512mb doesnt cut it for gaming in these days.

*WavY*

5. the-architect

I see.

How do I go about this?
    I have a dormant PC which I can canabalise. It was a monster until it broke down recently. I'm sure that had loads of RAM.

6. the-architect

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well maybe we could get the "broken down" one up and running again? What is it that happened to it?

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This is actually really simple. Open the case of the old machine. Locate the RAM (looks like attached screenshot), push the retaining clips outward, and pull the stick out. To put it in the new machine, push the retaining clips out, and push the stick in until the clips snap into place. (do this with both machines off, of course...no need shocking yourself, or damaging hardware)

Attached Files:

• RAM.GIF
      RAM.GIF
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds