Two sound cards??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BerryOnline, Dec 17, 2005.

1. BerryOnline

BerryOnline Private E-2

I was just wondering if it was possible to use to sound cards at once. I search on the internet but didnt come up with anything solid. So i was just wondering if anyone here can help me. I have one built in sound card and one PCI sound card, and i wanted to know if i can hook up with sound systems for MORE sound.

THANKS

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ummm why would you even need more than one sound card, todays modern cards have a crap load of input and output jacks. Make sure you disable your onboard sound 1st tho before you can use ur sound card.

3. BerryOnline

BerryOnline Private E-2

The reason is cuz i have an extra pair of 5.1 speakers and dont have anything to do with them, so i wanted to add them to the 5.1speakers that are already there, just for kicks.

would anyone know how

4. Slaughter

Slaughter Private E-2

I don't think you can. You can splice your wires and tap them into your existing set? :D

5. BerryOnline

BerryOnline Private E-2

Yea but then i think to start hearing static and you lose sound quality

6. Slaughter

Slaughter Private E-2

If done well enough you shouldn't notice a difference :p

7. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Actually, in a case like this 'more is not better!' You may get 'quanity,' but the 'quality' will undoubtly suffer considerably. As for splicing, well that's not really such a great idea. If the wires on the speakers are NOT marked + or - then you run the risk of crossing the polaritys and could end up shorting something out and end up with nothing.
    As for using 2 sound cards, there you could very well run the risk of a driver conflict and, again, end up with nothing until you resolve the conflict, which would entail deleting the drivers for one of the cards and you'd be back to square one...1 sound card. The choice is yours, of course, but I'd suggest going with either the onboard OR the PCI card. You may not have the 'quanity' but you will have 'quality.' Good luck on which ever way you decide to go.

8. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

There is a splitter you can get for headphones. You can find them at thesource or other audio places. They are about 5 bucks each.

9. Feanor23x

Feanor23x Private E-2

Some of you asked why you would want to use more than one soundcard... If you're using DJ mixing software, you can (and would want to) use more than one, so that you can play one through speakers, and monitor with the other...

10. BerryOnline

BerryOnline Private E-2

all you guys bring up good points, as for the buying the splitters, i had a friend tried that and he said you would hear a hummming noise unless you turned it up REALLY loud, hahaha. not what i want to do. I just wanted more of a surround sound affect, more than i have now, but i guess i'll stick with what i have, so i dont end up with nothing. hahaha

THANKS GUY
    really appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds