running Comodo ISP and SAS Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by LMHmedchem, May 1, 2012.

1. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem Private E-2

Hello,

I recently switched from zone alarm ISS to comodo IS pro and changed out spybot ssd for SAS pro. Some of this was based on recommendations from the malware removal forum. So far I have been very happy, they system seems to be very tight and there has not been a noticeable drain on resources.

My question is about running both programs. Both have realtime AV protection and scanning and I know it can be a problem to run two AV programs at the same time. I think the recommendation of the malware removal group wast to run the free comodo firewall and then an av app like maleware bytes or sas. By getting the pro version of comodo, I have added a second av program into the mix and I am interested to know if that will cause issues. So far, I have had no conflicts that I am aware of. SAS is also a spyware blocker, and may be a bit different than the comodo av.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

LMHmedchem

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

SuperAntiSpyware PRO and Malwarebytes Antimalware PRO both have the ability to provide real time protection,
    however neither of them is actually an Anti-Virus program.
    They are intended to Supplement an Anti-Virus program.
    You could use both of them for on demand scans, but only One should be active for real time protection.

Edit:
    You can still use Spybot, just do not use the Tea Timer.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would not use the Spy Bot its old its out dated and very slow and uses too many resources.And it takes way too long to scan.

I have not found this an issue yet AVG 2012 Internet Security Works well i have it scan every night.

Malwarebytes (Pro) is all so a good blocker have not had a issue yet.

And on top of this i use
    CCleaner

Advance System Care5 For cleaning out my system

This setup works well and i rarely have a issue
    And i am very rarely seen on the malware fourms so i know this setup works.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Spybot Search and Destroy is recommended by malware expert chaslang in the MG guide How to Protect yourself from malware!
    as an After the fact scanning tool.
    Spybot Search and Destroy is still being actively developed and the next version is currently in beta testing:
    safer-networking.org: The fifth beta release of Spybot-S&D 2.0 is ready!
    Spybot - Search & Destroy©® 2.0

This does not use any resources unless you use the Tea Timer, which is Not recommended.
    The SDHelper is a plugin for Internet Explorer.

The SDHelper setting is accessed from Tools > Resident and checking Only Resident "SDHelper".

The Immunize feature does add quite a few entries to the registry, but this does not add another running process.

5. Goldenskull

I still don't like it the scans still take way to long Did they adjust the Scaning speed the older version use to take some resources while it scaned and alot of times it barely found any thing on my system.My Advance system care 5 found 3 times more stuff then the Spybot did.Says right on the site that they finally Memory consumption has been reduced.So it had a memory issue.But i still don't see that the Speed of the scan has been increased.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. Goldenskull

I just used the newest version your wrong still takes alot of Memory consumption And takes about 30% of my dual core CPU.Memory consumption keeps going up and up and up

7. LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem Private E-2

If I understood the advice on the removal forum here, it said to pick either malwarebytes or SAS for active defense and scanning and then run a good firewall like comodo. Did I misunderstand that?

The update logs for SAS list tons of entries for Trojans and other things that I take to be virus threats. There are allot of spyware threats listed as well. It seems odd that such a program would have maleware threats that it didn't address, since the process seems the same. It the antivirus in comodo effective? So far, the combination has used very little in the way of resources and it has all of the configurations that I need. I think the comodo defense+ feature, which sandboxes any application that has not been previously approved, is a better option than traditional AV software that has to recognize an app as a threat.

I don't know if I can turn off the AV in comodo, so there would be an issue if I had to run a third application for that.

LMHmedchem

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You should use only one for active defense, but you can use both SAS and Malwarebytes for scanning.

If Comodo Internet Security is working well for you, then that is probably fine with SAS active defense.

I think there is a way to install Comodo IS and use only the firewall, but not sure about that.
    However, you can install the firewall separately with Comodo Personal Firewall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds