Limited or No Connectivity after Trojan Malware Removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lysistrata7, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lysistrata7

lysistrata7 Private E-2

I spent several days working with a volunteer from geekstogo removing trojans and malware from my computer it took about 10 different programs at least. Currently, I have avast, spywareguard, and superantispyware for protection as well as comodo as my firewall. My internet connection worked fine for about 12 hours after all this mess when it decided to shut down. I have a Dell latitude D830 laptop connected to a linksys WRT54G router. I have tried powering down the modem and router. I have tried the SP2ConnectivityFix patch and the WinsockFix. Neither of these worked and so I still need help please!

2. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

do you have any other computers at home to test the network? We want to find out if its a problem with your laptop- or a problem with the internet connect, router or modem.

3. lysistrata7

lysistrata7 Private E-2

Yes, my desktop is currently connected to the internet thru the router. Also, my laptop is not recognizing the name of my network instead it is using the default which is "linksys".

4. lysistrata7

lysistrata7 Private E-2

I took my laptop to school and am unable to connect to the wireless network here. Furthermore, a direction connection is not working. HELP!:(

5. gimpster123

I take it you've been able to use the wireless at school before? Did you install any firewall during you malware cleaning? Did you disable your wireless adapter during cleaning? If you plug the laptop direct into the router do you get internet?

6. lysistrata7

lysistrata7 Private E-2

I plugged my computer directly into a hub at school that has worked everytime previously and I did not have internet. I have installed a new firewall and I did disable my wireless adapter and then re-enabled it during the whole "cleaning" process.

7. gimpster123

control panel--> device manager scroll down and make sure the wireless adapter is enabled. I'd still like to know if you get internet when you plug into the router at home (with a cord.)

8. lysistrata7

lysistrata7 Private E-2

No, I am unable to get internet access when I plug the cable directly into the router. I experienced this same problem today at school when I plugged a cable into the laptop which was connected to a school hub.

9. gimpster123

okay. What kind firewall do you now have?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds