Commercial Adverts on Major Geeks

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by fatherflap, Nov 5, 2007.

1. fatherflap

fatherflap Private E-2

Hello to everyone especially the Mods etc that provide their free time .
    I know that all the programs mentioned in your lists are tried and tested by you .But what about The commercial adverts do you have any say in what is advertised ? are they approved by you ? .I appreciate that the Adverts are your life blood so to speak and are necessary .I just wonder if they are approved.:confused

cheers Fatherflap

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I can't speak to whether or not the ads are approved, but if you are looking to download something you should download it from the front page of MG. Everything there is not only approved, but is tested for malware and other things. The ads are not tested, as far as I know.

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

Hopefully a mod will be along soon to answer your question

In the meantime, enjoy the forums :)

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ads are checked by us and we have blocked certain words, including sex, alcohol, etc. Occasionally, a rogue ad will get by, for example an antispyware program, but we are usually alerted immediately and block that ad.

So, I would not say we approve every ad, but we do police them for quality, something I dont think any website does.

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

6. fatherflap

fatherflap Private E-2

Many thanks for the welcome and to the answer to my enquiry .It is nice to know that you even keep an eye on the adverts .As yet I have always gone for your main page recommendations.
    Cheers and thank you
    fatherflap

7. joebrown

joebrown Private E-2

I was going to create a new post, then handily, an automatic search thing showed me this post, so i'll post here.
    I know as the original poster says that adverts keep your website alive, but I wish that they weren't so deceptively trying to make us download them.
    Example: I went to download 3DMark06, and if I didn't use sites such as this as much as I do, there were several big download buttons, while the link to download the thing I want, are a list of servers to download from.
    I dont necessarily have a problem with "recommended downloads" which are valid and helpful programs or tools, but it just seems like a trick to make me download the programs while I am searching for something else.
    I assume that there is some reason for this, ie it takes time to check every Ad and will mean some wouldnt advertise on your site, and I have seen it on different websites, so assume it's "standard practice", but if there is a possiblity that this could be changed so that either the download we are looking for, or the adverts download links aren't so attention grabbing, it would be appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds