Onboard video/pci express video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbeane1, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rbeane1

rbeane1 Private E-2

I have a HP Pavilion computer that has on board video Nvidia 7100. I want to install a Sapphire HD 4830 (ATI). The Bios only list primary video: onboard, pci,
    or PCI Express. Do I have to remove the Nvidia drivers or can I run 2 video sources. I am Running Vista Home Premium. I already upgraded the Power Supply.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When you install the video card in to the PCI-Express slot, it will over-ride the on board video. The BIOS will disable and turn off the on board video and all video output will go through the video card. You don't need to uninstall the nVidia drivers since the on board will be disabled, but it may not be a bad idea. However, I've noticed with Vista that it can be very difficult to remove drivers for an on board device 'cuz Vista quickly recognizes the device and reloads drivers for it, but this shouldn't happen with the on board video since the video card is the primary video output.

3. rbeane1

rbeane1 Private E-2

Thanks, wish me luck I'm going to give her a try.

4. rbeane1

rbeane1 Private E-2

Install was successfully completed

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive :celebrate :dancer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds