How Do I use a CAT5e Crossover Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwdcanuck, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mwdcanuck

mwdcanuck Private E-2

I have a new computer and I was hoping there was a way for me to link it to one of my old computers and be able to transfer documents and data files from the old PC to the new one. An Office Depot clerk sold me a Belkin CAT5e Crossover cable (Patch Cable?) and told me to plug it into the the ethernet plug-ins on the back of each computer without the need of a hub. On the CAT5e packaging it merely indicates that each PC must have an RJ45 Ethernet card. All of my PC's have ethernet cards but whether they are RJ45 cards I don't know. All run XP Pro or XP media. Before plugging in the cable to the back of each PC and turning them on I thought I had better ask if this will in fact work (safely)and if so what steps must I take using the Network wizard on one or both of the computers? Also how do I determine if the my ethernet cards are RJ45 or equivalent? I only have one monitor and keyboard, mouse etc. does that create a problem?

thanks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

If your network cards have what looks like wider phone jacks, they are RJ45 connectors. It would be highly unlikely you have the old thin-net BNC connectors. Without a hub or swtitch, a crossover cable is indeed what you need. If you think you might use both the PCs on a home network someday, you might want to just buy a broadband router with built-in 4-port switch and a couple standard ethernet cables. Also helpful:

Make sure both computers have the same workgroup name assuming they are both windows xp just right click on my computer and click on properties, then click on computer name...
    1. give both the same workgroup name
    2. both computers need to have different computer names
    3. disable firewall on both computers assuming they are windows xp, or make sure file and print sharing is enabled on both thru the firewall settings

3. mwdcanuck

mwdcanuck Private E-2

Thanks for the help. Do I have to use the Network Wizard in the control panel or just hook the 2 Pc"s together and boot them. I'm hoping in the end that the PC with the monitor and keyboard will be able to view the drives on the 2nd. PC and enable me to "move" data files. Thanks again. Oops I missed the bottom part of your message so you may have already answered these questions. Will have a quick look at your full reply

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds