Thanks to everyone today, now ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Feb 9, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

... is there a way to move (simply) all the photos from "my pictures" on my admin account over to my standard (normal/limited) account??

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Is there a way to move (simply) all the photos from "my pictures" on my admin account over to my standard (normal/limited) account?? grc123 <<

Well there's the "simple" way and then there's the "safest" way. COPYING files is always safer than MOVING them, especially when moving large numbers of files all at once.

Therefore IMO the 'safest' way to accomplish this would be to copy not to "move" the pics to a DVD/CD/CD-RW. Then copy the pics from the removable disk to your standard normal/limited account's "My Pictures" folder. By choosing to do it his way, you significantly lessen the chance of losing some; if not ALL of your pictures.

You see, whenever moving instead of "copying" - huge numbers of files (especially large files such as pic files) this can cause problems; because the copying process sometimes suddenly freezes - and if that happens in the middle of the process - you could potentially, accidentally lose all or some of your pic files.

Another PLUS here: By doing it this way you have an extra backup copy of all your pics on the CD! Additionally, if you do not want to keep the pics left on your Admin account, you can always delete then afterwards; when it is much safer to do so.

===========================================
    Alternatively, here's another SAFE method of accomplishing this:
    ===========================================​

Step 1

(a) Log onto Admin account
    (b) Open My Documents then open "My Pictures" folder
    (c) Minimize the folder

Step 2

(a) Click on (open) My Computer
    (b) Click on Main Hard Drive
    (c) Open the folder "Documents and Settings"
    (d) Open the standard (normal/limited) account
    (e) Open "My Documents" and then the "My Pictures" folder

Now copy the pics (or the entire folder full of pics) to from the Admin account "My Pictures" folder to the standard (normal/limited) account. Once again, if you do not want to keep the pics left on your Admin account, you can always delete then afterwards; when it is much safer to do so.

Side Note: I have noticed in my past experiences backing up files, that copying the entire folder (instead of opening the folder and copying all of the individual files at once) seems to always go far more smoothly. After you copy the folder you can name it "Backup Pictures" or something like that.

Good Luck!

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you - this looks quite detailed (thorough) ... and like something I'll try in the morning (or sometime tomorrow) - when I'm a bit more AWAKE!

Thanks!

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, I'm halfway into it (right smack-dab in the middle - naturally), and I don't see a folder (nor file) labeled "Documents and Settings", nor "My Documents and Settings".

Could it possibly be labeled differently in Vista, such as, "Program Data", or "Program Files"??

PS - In other words (and I've had to choose your 2nd method of doing this), I've:

1. Logged On to Admin
    2. Opened My Documents
    3. Opened My Pictures > then minimized it.
    4. Opened My Computer
    5. Clicked on "C"
    6. and this is where I was stopped - no 'Docs. & Setts.' nor 'My Docs. & Setts.' seen here, at this point ...

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

wow thank you - it worked - sort of.

The pix (that folder) went over from my Admin to my Standard account, but just one last question on this: when I open this folder now (and it ended-up, for whatever reason, in the "Public Downloads" [I think?] folder) - when I open that, they "show", but only really reveal what they are when I click-on or open them up individually ... each and every thumbnail. In other words, they are, each thumbnail, is individually "masked" by the default Vista picture upon opening and viewing the open folder in its entirety (fortunately, I "titled" or "labeled" them each, and they all have labels or titles). Before, when they were in my Admin account (and they may still be for all I know - I haven't checked yet), I could open the folder, and see thumbnails of each photo.

Any "clues" on yet, another "Windows Mystery"??

~*EDIT*~ - Yep, I looked over in the Admin side - the pics are still there (or, I should say; "are there ALSO"), but (and) it displays the actual photo in each thumbnail as it had previously. I thought perhaps my answer might be in selecting a choice out of the "View" menu, but the same first five boxes under "Choose Details" in the drop-down are selected in each user account ... it's set the same in both accounts (?).

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, ever-so slight change of direction here (I believe I can work with the pix as they are ... at least I hope so?), anyway ...

How would I do the same thing with a Notepad document? I've tried, and searched a bit on the web - to no avail ...

Thx ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds