Want to install Linux Ubuntu on Winxp system

Discussion in 'Software' started by thisisu, Oct 2, 2006.

1. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hey,
    I only have one hard drive, so I know I will have to create two partitions for Linux. Let me post which file I downloaded: http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso

I'm hoping this is the correct version and everything. I kind of rushed and probably downloaded the wrong version since I do have a AMD64 processor. I tried booting up with this .iso (after i burned to cd) in the cd-rom drive and at first things seemed to be going fine. I could see, etc, but after I selected the Install option, it seemed to boot to ubuntu desktop with distorted graphics card colors.

I think it's worthy to note that I had to have a friend "hack" my computer to get my graphical interface working with Linux SuSE. He logged into my pc for me and download the nvidia graphic card drivers so that I could see what was going on (lol) And things were fine up until recently.. and now I'm wanting to try another distro of Linux.

I'm thinking that the only reason that my graphics were bunked while I tried to install Linux is because I used the Intel x86 desktop cd, and not the 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD (http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-amd64.iso) which I'm downloading now. 39% finished. I would like to have boot dual OS just like I had with SuSE ASAP, so please don't shy from commenting. I'm definitely not linux savvy so please be patient with me. I'm pretty efficient and will try ideas that evolve.

Thanks in advance!

ps. : 1 CPU - AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

update, i'm in ubuntu right now. the amd 64 disc worked perfectly. now i'm trying to install ubuntu (i guess i'm on the live cd) into a new partition on my 80gb hdd but i'm not having any luck. i don't want to install ubuntu on my winxp partition but that seems to be the only option i have because it's not letting me install on any new partition that i create after taking space away from winxp. help? i can post a screenshot.

Attached Files:

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Is this screenshot after you ran the 'Install' wizard that is on the desktop when using the live CD? IIRC, this wizard will give you all the options to set up the dual boot system correctly.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You should have the option to select that NTFS partition and resize it. IIRC you even get a little UI element to drag the size with your mouse! Then you just select the newly freed space and make a new partition there for your install.

Then you'll need to select how you want the partitions to work. For ease, just have it install everything into the one new partiton you just made.

After that it'll install a bootloader (grub probably) and you're sorted.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Why thank you sir :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds