RE: What EXACTLY is OTC by Oldtimer???

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, May 14, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a question. I see there is a program called OTC by Oldtimer that is posted on my reputable web sites out there. It seems to be recommended when users have issues with maleware. it seems perfectly legit. There seems to be no author's web site for this program. I am told that it, "Alternatively, you can download OTC by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.
    •Connect to the Internet and double-click on OTC.exe to start the program.
    •Click on the green CleanUp! button.
    •If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
    •When it has finished, OTC will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.
    -- Doing this will remove any specialized tools downloaded and used. If OTC does not delete itself, then delete the file manually"
    per the link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic315103.html. This forum and a few different forums have their members recommended it to troubled users experiencing malware.

My questions are:

1. WHAT *EXACTLY* DOES IT DO??? :confused
    2. Does it inform the user of its actions or measures it performed? For example, if it removes items from your system, how can you tell what items it removed? Where do you go in your system to find out? I find this VERY important to know.
    3. Is there a dedicated author's web site for this program?

Like I said, it appears very legit. It is something you may find in a few forums that is recommended to use in certain circumstances I gather.

Please reply with answers about this program. Thank you!!! :)

2. montecarlo1987

I guess I try to partly answer my own question after some deep research on my own. I just answered my first question only. This is what I found found from a reliable source (possibly the program's author?). Website:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/no-drag-drop-et-al-me-too-t253855.html&st=15

"Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer. OTC is a small program that removes all the leftover tools and logs from cleanup of malware.

Please download OTC to your desktop.
    •Double-click OTC to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTC and select "Run as an Administrator")
    •Click on the CleanUp! button and follow the prompts.
    •You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process, choose Yes.
    •After the reboot all the tools we used should be gone.
    Note: Some more recently created tools may not yet be removed by OTC. Feel free to manually delete any tools it leaves behind."

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This does not sound like a secure and trustworthy program to me and I would recommend removing it from your computer immediately.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It is used quite often in malware removal. But it should be used under supervision if you are not familiar with how it works. The same would be true if you wanted to run ComboFix.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I withdraw my earlier comment.

6. montecarlo1987

Thanks TimW.

I want to ask you since you are very aware of this program. Does it delete individual setup installer files (like EXE and MSI) files for programs that are placed on your desktop that may not be even related to the function of this program. Why I ask is based on its description, it SEEMS to remove tools and programs, but how about your very own setup installer files for programs/software that you purchase?

7. TimW

Here is a list of what OTC will remove:

8. montecarlo1987

TimW, Thank you!

9. TimW

No problem. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds