Google search hijacked by Yahoo!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheena, Jul 12, 2009.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

This is something that makes me mad as a wet cat! I am surprised I haven't heard about it on the net as it affects all of us. I set Google as my default and only search engine in "search preferences" long ago. And my isp features it. Now everytime I go online and type in something the next thing I know a page turns up with results from Yahoo, saying that the address wasn't found so yahoo is 'helping' by giving the results it found." , and google is no longer your search engine.Then if you don't want to use Yahoo you have to click on something which takes you to a yahoo message, then clic on something else to quote,"opt out of this Yahoo service", then you are informed that as long as you leave a yahoo cookie on your computer you won't have to deal with this, and then you have to start ie all over again. I delete cookies each time I go offline. I have already chosen my search engine. Why do I HAVE TO allow a yahoo cookie and why does Yahoo get to force me to use it, and then force me to choose my search engine all over again after I have already properly selected it? It seems to me to be a violation of my right to choose services, and really seems criminal to me. I do not understand how this can be legitimate.
    Sheena

2. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Do you have a Yahoo toolbar installed?

3. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi Lennyw,
    No, I don't have the yahoo toolbar.
    sheena

4. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Any Yahoo products? IM, Yahoo branded browser, etc.?

5. sheena

sheena Corporal

I don't use yahoo im, and don't know what a yahoo branded browser is. I use ie 6, cause I hated ie7, and my isp features Google. I do use a yahoo free mail account sometimes. But my only search engine is Google.
    Sheena

6. samtal

samtal Corporal

7. sheena

sheena Corporal

Samtal,
    I set Google as my search engine on my computer a long time ago, and just went to the website you suggested. While it didn't say to choose Google and press ok in that order, that seemed what I accomplished, and I clicked save preferences, so it should be set there too. Thanks. I think this that is happening to me is happening to others, regardless of what they have set as their preferred search engine.
    Sheena

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds