bluescreen after standby

Discussion in 'Software' started by alex60, Jul 18, 2012.

1. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

i wonder if one of you very intelligent guys can take a look at this for me.
    i left my pc in standby made this morning but when i arrived home this evening and pressed the space bar to bring it out of standby i got the message "preparing to standby" then a blue screen with an error code. taking a look at the minidump info it has something to do with ntoskrnl.exe+22f5f. is this something i should be worried about?
    cheers for all your help

Attached Files:

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I looked at the file there 0x000000f4 has to do with your paging file.

It seems your Paging file might be corrupted.

Or

It could be Bad Registry .

Either one

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Or

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Co insides with kinda both.ntoskrnl.exe

Here is a link to Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Just my opinion, but that is a very long time to be on Standby.

Do you have Hibernation enabled?
    If you did, it should have hibernated long before you returned home.

IMHO, if you're not going to shut down, better to manually put the machine into Hibernation before leaving for an extended period.

Suppose there is a thunderstorm or some electrical disturbance while you are away.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

You didn't indicate whether the pc is a desktop or laptop. If it's a laptop where battery power is involved, standby mode may be useful. I would avoid using standby mode with a desktop insofar as I have observed many users post about similar instability coming out of standby. Some geeks and moderators can corroborate this or advise on how to better analyze and work out the issue. Good luck.

5. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

it's a desktop. i didn't know that using standby in desktops could cause problems.
    i've never had any issues in the past with standby although my desktop is nearly five years old so maybe it's time to upgrade from xp to win7 and get myself a new hdd. i think i'll take your advice and give standby a miss from now on.
    thanks to everyone for their comments
    cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds