No fan noise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bottomsouth, Apr 19, 2007.

1. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

Hey dudes, need a little hardware - software help. I am not sure which one. My kid has been downloading video's and games and all sorts of junk on the P.C.> have window's XP Home Edition. I got wind of it and got him to stop. Now however the system has stopped working. The light comes on when I start the computer, but no beeps nor fan noise. I took it apart and cleaned out the dust. Checked to see if the mother-board was hot. (it was warm from running). I unplugged the power, pulled wires off of all drives, CD R/W, floppy, etc and still no sound when I start the computer up. Nothing is jammed in the fans (neither the Video card nor system fan) Any suggestions? Would him downloading and playing all the games have shot the Video card which in turn stops everything else? I not guru on this, but I can repair/replace necessary parts.
    Thanks
    Shawner

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

One thing i can suggest to try is open your pc's case and turn on your pc and see if any of your fans run.
    And to answer your question, No downloading and playing games would not damage your video card it's fan might have quit.

3. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

What if the fans aren't running?

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Replace them.

5. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

Alright. But will this fix the problem of the system no starting?

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

7. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

Problem with this is, nothing, Na-Da comes on the screen when I start it up. The light comes on its on, but no fan noise, no blinking light on screen, so I can't get into safe mode. Any other suggestions on how I can get a screen up.
    I do appreciate the help.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Any beeps ?
    Check all the leads are connected - sometimes pullig off and replacing ensures a connection.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Check the power return ( the 4 plug fitting that goes to the motherboard ), is o.k, as if the fans are not working, and it does not start, it could be any number of things.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If after checking all connections, you still get nothing,
    you will have to do a basic check.
    Leave one stick of ram in, remove any others.disconnect the IDE,AND POWER LEADS FROM THE DVD/CD DRIVE(S)If you have any other PCI cards in the slots (other than graphics)
    Then try starting. If it will not beep, or, fans do not work, after doing that, try to eliminate by substitution.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I should have reminded you to remove the power plug- todays systems are still live, even when switched off.
    I should hope you have a wrist strap, or, remember to keep touching the chassis.

Check that the cpu fan is correctly connected to the motherboard. If so,
    Substitution:
    First try your psu in another computer, if possible (most likely suspect )
    If o.k, then Carefully remove the cpu fan, and the cpu, see if the cpu is burnt- showing scorch marks 9Although this is not always apparent.
    Reseat the cpu with arctic silver (one small blob).
    reconnect cpufan, and try again.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Others will come to your aid, I know , as I have to go out - but those basics should help give you somewhere to start.

13. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

Thanks ya'll. Its my home PC and I'm at work now. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

14. bottomsouth

bottomsouth Private E-2

Well, I went home tried all the different remedies and bouyea. My motherboard has bitten the dust. It was a H/P I bought at Walmart about 3 yrs ago. My nephew works at Comp USA and said he has gotten a few customers who've bought there systems at Walmart and they only last a limited time. I'm getting ready to just buy a new tower. The Compaq Presario SR2163WM PC w/ Intel Pentium 4 631 with Hyper-Threading technology. Its only my home P.C. and I don't do alot of serious things with it. Hopefully this will last me awhile. My hard drive is still good so I'll just add it as the slave.
    Thanks.
    Shawn

p.s. I knew it was the mother board when I removed the RAM stick and smelt something smoking on the MB.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well doing a basic seems to have helped find the problem - can't beat a good sniff, though.
    Sorry it turned out to be the motherboard - as you say -if hard drive is o.k, thats a little bonus - cpu and Ram could be worth salvaging.
    Good luck with your new system

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds