The RPC server is unavailable

Discussion in 'Software' started by funkyecat, Aug 22, 2007.

1. funkyecat

funkyecat Private First Class

I was trying to access Partition Magic 7.0. It vanished from my Start -All Programs menu but the file still existed in my Programs folder. (At least part of it). I attempted to reinstall it and received the following error message-

"The Installation Engine (ikernal.exe) could not be launched.

The RPC server is unavailable."

It worked fine recently. (No vuruses or spyware)

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I recently had the same error when trying to install an ATI video driver except I didn't have the "ikernal.exe" in the message; all I had was the "RPC server..." part. So I did some research at the Microsoft knowledge base and it seems that the RPC error can be caused by anything from networking a printer, to directory migration, to trying to view remote services. In my situation, I had just formatted the HD and done a clean install of XP (well, not really 'clean' because there were a couple error messages during install due to a bad CDROM drive) when I got the error. I ended up reformatting and reloading XP again (this time with a different CDROM) and everything was OK after that; the ATI driver (and all others) installed perfectly. I know this isn't a whole lot of help, but I'm still researching it and if I find anything of use, I'll be sure to post it.... good luck!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds