Not worth the headache?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Lozzle, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Lozzle

Lozzle Private E-2

Hi all, I am going insane with an IBM comp. I picked up after a business closure, I want to wipe everything off and re-install XP but it keeps giving me error msg of you dont have admin rights to do this, but there are no other accounts listed and no passwords to log in. I have tried altering bios to read from cd with XP but it just loads straight into the already loaded program.....HELP!!:confused

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Welcome to MG. :wave

This really should go into a thread in Software, but....... :)
    Do you have a option in the BIOS to disable the hard drive? (in the Boot options)
    That will force the boot from disc.

3. Lozzle

Lozzle Private E-2

Hi Musksnipe
    No there doesn't seem to be that option.
    Thanks for the quick response. Can I/should I try and change the thread to where you said??
    Thanks again.
    lozzle
    Ps I like yr icons.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yeah, it would be best to post in the Software Forum.
    I don't know about your BIOS, but in my Dell, there are hints at the bottom of the screen.
    In the Boot Options section, I can move drives up or down, by high-lighting, then using the plus or minus keys.
    The drives also show a check mark in front of them, which the shift key removes or adds. That's what disables them from being a boot option, although they will still work.
    I'm not even sure what my BIOS looks like on my HP. Don't remember being in it. rolleyes
    Post in software and also include some info about your PC (Make/model/BIOS) and some one will set you in the right direction.

Beaker is a favorite of mine, too. :)

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's Lozzle

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

a warm welcome to the forums :wave

8. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

:wave Lozzle,

Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

9. Lozzle

Lozzle Private E-2

Hi Bill

Thanks for the info, have just downloaded it and about to give it a go.
    Thanks again very much appreciated.
    Lozzle

10. Lozzle

Lozzle Private E-2

Hi All thanks for the warm welcomes and advice, I seem to have fixed the problem ... well almost, I installed windows 98 which ran straight from the installation disk or cd(where no oher disk I put in would) and then reloaded XP which over wrote 98, but here is the next problem my screen image is only 16bit and no matter how many times I run the XP disk it doesnt change. Can't work it out as the other computers I have loaded with this disk all have the 32bit capacity.
    Anyway thanks again for the welcome, and maybe this info can help others.

Cheers for now.

Lozzle

11. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Start a new thread in the Software Forum
    The guys in there will be able to help you with that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds