can't start windows firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by aelsner, Apr 5, 2012.

1. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

I get a message " Windows firewall settings cannot be started because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall connection sharing (ICS) service.

I click YES
    then it says
    Windows cannot start Windows Firewall (ICS) service.

Please help ! am running Windows XP

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, aelsner, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

Is your version of Windows XP running Service Pack #2? If so, then please follow the steps listed in this Microsoft KB article and let us know the results.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Thanks; am running SP#3

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also, do you have any third party firewall installed and running?

6. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Thanks;
    I went to services.msc, I clicked on Windows firewall and tried to start manually. I got foll. message:
    Could not start Windows firewall connection Sharing(ICS) service on local computer.
    Error 1068
    The depencency service or group failed to start.

Pls adv.
    Thanks

7. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Also I went Windows Update and my compuer became inactive. After closing the application came up with Microsoft Fix It and received foll.
    "Trouble shooting can't continue because an error has occurred. Windows Powershell Failed to install."

8. plodr

Did you follow the link I posted in post #3?

9. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Thank you;
    I used blakviper as u suggested. Most of the services are in the table you showed with the proper settings. So there was nothing else I could do. I did try to turn on the WFwall service via services.msc but I get the same message.
    One thing I was able to do, unlike before, is to turn on Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be working. I tried also to run Microsoft Fix It but it gives me an error message saying to try it again later.
    So, what is the next step?
    Please adv.
    Thanks a lot

10. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

I don't think so, but not 100% sure, please see my reply to PLODR today, I installed Microsft Security Essentials and tried to run Microsoft Fix It but did not work.
    Please advise
    Thank you so much.

11. plodr

Are you still getting the "can't start because the dependency service or group failed to start"?
    If not, what error do you now get?

12. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Yes I still get the same message - WF can't be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you wnat to start the ICS service. After clicking yes I get Windows can't start the Wfirewall/ICS.

Pleas adv. Thanks so much!!

13. plodr

Try the fixit here http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/
    What antivirus is running? Some av programs can prevent the firewall from starting.
    Also I see that when ICS will not start, it is possible that two files are missing: ipnathlp.dll or ipnat.sys
    Can you search and see if you have both of those files?

14. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good morning...

Seems like I remember reading about conflicts between the default Windows XP Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

By all means, try plodr's suggestions. However, if they don't work, for troubleshooting purposes you might consider uninstalling MSE and using some other antivirus program (avast, Avira, etc.), see if the Windows Firewall can then be properly activated.

Or, disable the XP Firewall altogether and use a 3rd-party software.

I just get a nagging feeling that this type of problem might not be readily solvable without a high risk/low reward solution...

15. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Thank you!!
    I use Microsoft Security essentials (which I was reinstalled 2 days ago; prior to that i was unable to use it until I followed yr instructions for blackviper.
    Secondy, I searched for the two files and the results are attached.

16. plodr

No conflicts on my XP computers running MS Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall.

17. aelsner

aelsner Private E-2

Hi
    I tried a few times to install MS Fix it. Installation stalls at the powershell step.
    Pls adv.
    tks

18. plodr

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. If the Fixit from MS will not turn on the firewall included with the MS Operating Sytem, I don't know what else to try.

19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

20. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

You could give Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 1.6.5 a run.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_d7141.html

Please watch the video.
    Go straight to step #4 and create a Restore point.
    Then Start repairs and choose Basic mode.
    Place a check on "Repair Windows Firewall" and "Repair Winsock and DNS Cache," only. Then hit Start.

Cheers..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  21. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

To confirm that required services are running:

Start services.msc
    Start > Run > services.msc

Check the following services and settings:

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing: Startup type - Automatic
    confirm that the Status is Started - if not, start the service​

Network Connections: Startup type - Manual

Remote Procedure Call: Startup type - Automatic

Windows Management Instrumentation: Startup type - Automatic

If you have to Start a service, be sure to click the OK button after starting.

Reference:
    Black Viper: Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing

22. plodr

mjnc, back in post #9 he stated that he did go and check all his services via BlackViper that I linked to in post #3, so that's been done.

23. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I saw that but I thought the response was a little vague, and there was no mention of Network Connections or Windows Management Instrumentation.

My post was just to make it easier to confirm that all of the listed required services were properly set, according to BlackViper's information.

24. plodr

Fair enough. I assumed that he altered the services that didn't match to the BlackViper recommendations but perhaps I assumed too much.

25. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Yes, you're right.
    I get a little compulsive sometimes.
    I think the info. posted was correct.
    You'll probably agree that no harm was done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds