Problems installing raptor sata drive as main drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by baradeithel, Feb 17, 2005.

1. baradeithel

baradeithel Private E-2

i am trying to install a western digital 74gig Serial ATA, our 10,000 RPM on a Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard. when i try to install windows with the Sata driver the setup say that it could not find a hard drive. I looked in the main biso and it dose not show the drive as a primary drive. but the motherboard sata biso dose show the drive as being there. Another reason i know that the drive works is because i used the disk that came with drive to fromat the dirve and partition it.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you need to install a 3rd party SATA driver during windows setup.

look on your motherboard manufacturers website for the latest SATA driver for WindowsXP, and put it on a floppy disk.

once you have the disk ready, boot to the Windows disk, and when prompted (in the first 5 seconds or so) tap F6 a few times. wait a few minutes for windows to load standard drivers, and then you will be prompted to insert your floppy containing the Drivers.

if you cant find the drivers, let us know the model of your motherboard and we'll track them down.

3. baradeithel

baradeithel Private E-2

i have already tried using the drivers i downloaded from the asus website for the K8V SE Deluxe motherboard but even after i have loaded the drivers during windows xp setup it still say there is no hard drive to install on.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

in that case, try downloading the Wester Digital tools (in the hard dirve tools section of the MG mainpage)

use those tools to partition and format the hard drive

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Also as an addition to In Years to Come (I am not sure how knowledgeable you are but just to avoid the silly little mistakes):
    1) Make sure the SATA cable is connected properly.
    2) Make sure the Drive is getting electricity, put your hand on it and make sure you feel its vibration (10,000 rpm you can't miss it!).
    3) If there is power to the drive, try another SATA cable or SATA connection on the mobo.

6. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

This could be a bios issue, do you have the 2nd boot device listed as a raid or sata drive? Are you confident you have the bios set-up correctly for all parameters?

7. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

I'm looking at the manual for the mobo, do you have the drive in the SATA1 or SATA2 connector? The Pri & Sec are for Raid only. Also which set of Sata drivers did you install during set-up, the set for raid or set for non-raid?

8. baradeithel

baradeithel Private E-2

I final found out what the problem was. the instalation book that came with the mother board was telling me to plug the cables into the wrong sata port. Plus the right conection ports were disabled in the bios. I want to thank every one how provided info on how to fix the problem.

thank you every one for all the help!

from,
    baradeithel

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds