What size SSD for primary

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cabbiinc, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

I'd like to jump into the SSD arena, but I'd like to know what a good size would be for my PC. I'm running Win7-64 bit and currently have a 500gb HDD (which would become my secondary drive) as well as two 1tb external drives for data storage. My computer is a 3.2ghz dual core with AMD processor and 8gb of RAM. The motherboard supports "Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s devices", so I assume it's SATA II. Currently the Windows folder on my C: drive takes up 23gb, Program Files (x86) takes up just under 7gb, and Program Files takes up 2gb. Program Data is 1.5gb. 33.5gb of the folders I've mentioned.

Budget is around $100. I'm leaning towards 128gb for the SSD, but would 64gb be enough? I'd be able to afford another less expensive HDD for more data storage.

Thoughts?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It really is a choice for you.

I have 128gb vertex 3 max iops and I never fill it up but it's all about drive management,I usually only have 1-3 games installed at one time equalling about 40gb,a few office and production apps I use often and of course windows so I rarely have less than 25% free space.

If I don't play on a game in a while and need space I simply uninstall the game keeping the save games and reinstall when I've completed the current game but I've only done that once when I had like 6 games installed.

Anything I don't use roughly every month goes on the slower hard drive in a program folder,large storage items go on a separate larger slower drive.

In my humble opinion 246gb is a luxury you can live without if using the drive for an essential program,game and operating system drive if your prepared to do tidy up every now and then.

Everything is a compromise though and it's up to you if you prefer spending the money on more speed or more space.:cool

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

So since you mentioned 128gb and not 64gb I'm assuming that you'd go with the 128gb and not less.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking myself. Just wanted confirmation.
    Dan

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yeah 64GB is a little too small IMO,perfect for an OS drive and maybe a game and a couple of production apps used often but it soon fills up.

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds