Out of interest.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lapsed, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

Does anyone know what this was about?

[​IMG]
    :eek:
    Mods please :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes.... spammage from yesterday, they have been disintegrated, but thread titles can still exist in the new or last thread posted until someone posts a new thread or post.

3. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

Thanks. Thats the first time I've seen spam on this forum. Is it common.

( I know I havent been here that long , but I do come on quite often )

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Fairly common, but always short lived. The mods and admins are pretty quick.

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Did you wanna buy some goooooooooooooold?

LOL

:)

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Someone really needs to write a script that cleans up the recent posts table that the index pages use. It's been a problem in vB for a long time - strange phpBB doesn't have the same problem :p

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Someone really needs to enact a law that all spammers are imprisoned.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I hope this will not include those who like eating spam! :p

9. Insomniac

Mmmmm, Spam. :)

10. Gektumi

Gektumi Private First Class

It looks like the spam thing can be a real problem for the smaller forums. And a real headache for the forums build around some of the small freeware development. I've seen a number close down because the developer of the free program gets dragged down by the cleanup time.

They've sounded justifiably bitter about that kind of stuff. The last one I saw close down was the one for a freeware program here, the Adobe Reader Speedup. I went to check out his website before downloading it here. Routine for me. I research and then come back here to download.

He's got a statement on there that he'd just spent four hours cleaning up spam and he was closing up the forum and discontinuing development of the program along with almost all the ones he developed. :( It would be nice to be able to do something about it. I've seen almost the same wording on several sites, and I don't even get around that much!

11. Insomniac

That's the problem. $200 won't deter anyone.

Spammers make millions. A small fine won't even bother them.

Drastic and serious action needs to be taken to stop, or at least minimise it.

12. Lapsed

Lapsed Corporal

Agreed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds