Cant boot into Windows. Please help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by WhiteBoi360, Nov 6, 2014.

1. WhiteBoi360

WhiteBoi360 Private First Class

I'm not sure if a Virus caused this problem or what but I am unable to get on my computer.

My computer was on for a couple of days just fine. I get on it this morning just fine. I didn't even do anything on the computer. I just turned on the monitor just to check on it. 30 seconds later it goes to a blue screen saying something about windows may be damaged.

The computer then restarts itself. It goes to a black screen sayingi can run windows repair(recommended) or start windows normally. I chose to start normally to see what happens. Then it says starting windows and then a quick blue screen flashes with a ton of text and then restarts back to the screen about running windows repair. The blue screen goes by to fast to see what it says and its a bunch of small text.

When I choose to run windows repair, it will not load. It says its loading the files, then goes to a windows 7 setup looking background where there is no text or setup windows. Just a background and my mouse pointer. The mouse pointer works but that's all that happens. I waited over 30 minutes and nothing came up.

Please help me fix this. I am on Windows 7 (professional I think)
    I also do not have a windows disc. I got windows free from someone I played online games with. I think I had to go to a college website and got it free from them or something. It's been a few years ago so I don't recall exactly.

Hope that helps.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You will need to boot into windows for us to check your system for malware, so I am moving you to software.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you pull the drive from your computer, attach it to another computer either internally or externally by adapter or enclosure? If you can, open it in Windows Explorer, go to WINDOWS/minidump and ZIP the file that's in that folder and attach it to your next post.

4. WhiteBoi360

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to do that with.

Is there something else I can do?

5. mdonah

Aren't you posting here from another computer? Is it a Library computer?

Unless you can get that minidump to us, there's nothing we can do to analyze the problem and suggest a possible solution.

6. WhiteBoi360

I'm actually posting from an Android cell phone...

I can't just find a download somewhere of the windows repair tool and burn it to disc from someone else's computer? And then run it on my computer when its booting up?

Just looking for the easiest way to go about this.

7. mdonah

Do you have a friend who's running Windows 7 and has made the Recovery CD? Could you borrow that CD and run Repair Windows?

Your current installation would be the Academic version if you got it from a college but, the repair option should work. However, that doesn't guarantee the same issue(s) you've had won't resurface.

8. WhiteBoi360

Well I do have a laptop but it runs 8.1.

Can I hook the harddrive from my desktop to the laptop? If that's possible, how would I go about doing that? Do you need an adapter?

9. mdonah

Yes, you'd need an adapter or enclosure. The desktop HD is 3.5" and a SATA connection. You could then get your important data from the desktop HD right in Windows Explorer. But, you could not perform a repair this way.

10. WhiteBoi360

Ok ill try to do a log when I get in from work as you suggested in your first post.

What kind of adapter do I need? Sorry but kinda new with hardware.

11. mdonah

You'd need an adapter like this one. I have one myself and on the sides are connections for either 2.5" or 3.5" IDE drives and on the top is an L-shaped connection for a SATA drive of either size. Your adapter should come with a short SATA cable with male connectors at each end as the drive and adapter connections are both female.

12. WhiteBoi360

I'm having problems finding the adapter you linked. I have been trying to order it from eBay but it will not go through. I called PayPal and they said that the merchant has a bunch of case disputes open and they are declining my transaction to protect me.

I went into Best Buy to see if they had any and they only had one and it was $21. I'm not paying that much for something I will probably never use again. Plus it was out of stock anyways so they didn't even have any.

So any other sites I could get that adapter from?

13. mdonah

Try this link instead. The link I provided in the previous post was for a particular one just so you could see what they're like.

14. WhiteBoi360

Sorry for the long wait.. PayPal was still being screwy and kept denying my payments even tho I have money and my bank info linked.. but finally after having to call them 5 different times they manually approved my payment and then it took a full week for the item to get here.

Now, it didn't come with an adapter or anything.. all I have is the cable and no way to hook up the drive to it...

So now which adapter is it that I need to get? And can I get it from somewhere like Best Buy or Office Max/Depot or Staples?

15. WhiteBoi360

It wouldn't let me edit my last post but also, you didn't say that it should of came with a power cable either.. I Googled around and I'm missing that as well so now I have no way to power it.:cry

16. mdonah

I have a "cloning kit" that I purchased from ebay. It came with the blue adapter that you apparently have plus a short SATA to SATA cable and a power adapter with a short cable that has the Molex (4 large pins) connection at one end and the larger SATA connection at the other. I don't remember what I paid for it. I honestly thought that what I linked you to would be the same. Sorry. :-o You don't need those extra cables for IDE/PATA hard drives. They're powered directly by USB.

Best Buy or Walmart or maybe RadioShack may have what you need.

17. WhiteBoi360

The ONLY thing I have is the usb adapter. That's it.

I guess I need a Molex Power Supply/Adapter, A Molex to Sata cable, and a sata to sata cable?

18. mdonah

Yes. But you may need to get the entire cloning kit to get the cables. You said you didn't want to spend the money for something you MAY only use once. But you really never know when you may need it — perhaps to help someone else with their computer. Or, you could sell the unit to someone who's looking for such an item.

19. WhiteBoi360

I went ahead and ordered THIS I hope it actually comes with everything..

I guess I will post back in a week when it gets here with the log you requested.

20. mdonah

That's exactly what I have and I believe I paid more for it on ebay. It WILL have everything pictured — USB to IDE and SATA (blue item), power adapter, molex to SATA, SATA to SATA, 3-wire wall cord. Now you'll be able to connect/work on any hard drive. I don't know about SSDs though.

21. WhiteBoi360

The item finally came in the mail about 2 nights ago.. I just now attempted to hook the drive up to it.. and I'm getting no power to the drive.. not sure why as the drive was coming on when it was plugged into my desktop...

This is giving me a headache and is starting to aggravate me

Don't know what else to do

22. WhiteBoi360

I also forgot to add that my mom's computer at her house is having hard drive problems as well.. so I tried hooking it up as well via usb and it actually got power and everything BUT, when you go into internet explorer and go to open the drive, it does the never ending loading thing so I can't even view any files or anything on hers

23. mdonah

I had never used my cloning kit for a SATA drive because my computer uses IDE/PATA drives. I've got SATA drives in enclosures and they work fine in them. I'm going to have to pull one from it's enclosure and try it with the cloning kit and see if I can replicate your problem. If it works with the cloning kit, I don't know what I can say. I'm sorry you're having such problems and for my previous error about the adapter. :-o

24. mdonah

I plugged my Samsung 80 GB SATA hard drive into my cloning kit and after Windows (Vista) installed the USB driver, everything worked normally. I don't know what's happening on yours.

25. WhiteBoi360

Yea I don't know either.. I can't get my mom's drive to come up or mine. But her drive at least powers on.. So I guess mine got fried somehow which is weird because it powered on just fine until I unplugged it and waited on the cloning kit to get here. Now it won't power on.

If I go get a new hard drive.. I'm really not sure which one to get as I'm still learning hardware. And also, how do I get my Windows back onto a new hard drive? Like I said in my first post, I didn't have to pay for Windows. I got from a college site or something. It's been a couple of years ago so I really can't remember.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds