Windows Update Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Nov 12, 2014.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I've just tried to update Windows, the update failed and I got error code 80246007: "Windows Update encountered an unknown error".

I attach a screen print of the solution in Windows Help. All the settings were as this help page says they should be. Can anyone advise me how to resolve this problem?

Attached Files:

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It seems that Microsoft has a FixIt for this update issue.

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

The plot thickens as they say. After I started this thread I went to turn of the offending PC. Windows Update had clearly said it had failed to install any of the updates. When I pointed my cursor at the off button it said, I think, these may not be the exact words, "Turn Off and Update Windows". I turned off the PC and it did, I don't know the correct phrase, that thing when it says the computer is updating and you must not turn off.

After it had done what it has to do I switched the PC back on. I decided I'd try the fixit. I ran it but Microsoft said I had a problem with Windows Update that they were unable to fix. I went to Windows Update after running the fixit and it said there were no updates, the PC was up-to-date.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on or if there is, or was, a problem.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I believe this may be the key to your problem. If you have Windows set to update automatically, and happen to try to do it yourself at the same time you do get this 'failed to install 18 updates' or whatever. If you just leave it to get on with it then it does install the updates. The monthly updates will come down on the second Tuesday or Wednesday of each month, which was yesterday, when you had this message.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I don't have Windows set up to automatically update. I have nothing set up to automatically update. That was interesting to know when MS do updates. I didn't know when they did it.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Check your update history to see what was installed and when it was installed.

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I attach an image of what updated.

Attached Files:

8. mdonah

I see you're running Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm running Vista Ultimate on my machine and have occasionally had problems when I run Windows Update when I, too, was running MSE. MSE does it's own auto update and, apparently, it was doing so when I went to install the important updates I had just downloaded — the updates failed. But, I quit out of Windows Update, restarted it and everything updated normally.

9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

You might have a good point. I think MSE was one of the applications that updated on that occasion. I always update MSE using Windows Updates. I've found problems when I try to update it directly from MSE.

I don't know what to do now. I switched from AVG to MSE following a recommendation here on Majorgeeks. I have never since had a problem that I or anyone else has traced to MSE.

As my PC runs on Windows Vista I'm wondering if Vista Ultimate was written for Windows Vista. Is Vista Ultimate a Windows application?

10. mdonah

No, it's a version of Windows Vista like Home Basic, Home Premium, etc. Windows Vista Ultimate has some features and capabilities that other versions of Windows Vista don't have like Ultimate Extras (BitLocker drive encryption for one thing) and the Backup and Restore Control Panel app that allows you to backup and restore your system drive. I run Vista Ultimate on one drive and XP Pro on another and can backup/restore both at once.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds