integral wifi removed in error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jan Scrivens, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Jan Scrivens

Jan Scrivens Private First Class

Hi, I have removed my Realtek integral wifi because I wrongly thought it was my external Realtek wifi adapter.
    I used Revo and uninstalled 2 items. I have downloaded what I think is the correct driver and re-installed it but it is not working. I guess the other thing I removed is required to get it working again.
    Please can anyone help by telling me what Realtek items should be pr-installed on my laptop.
    Lenovo Flex 2-14 Windows 8.1
    Intel Pentium 3558U @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz
    I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
    Thanks

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try restarting. It should detect the internal wifi as 'new' hardware and install it.

3. Jan Scrivens

Thanks for reply. I have restarted it a few times now but nothing like that has happened.
    It doesn't show up in Network Connections.
    Jan

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Any indication of problem devices in Device Manager? These are indicated by yellow question marks or exclamation marks on the icon. You can double click an icon and update the driver.

5. Jan Scrivens

Thank you Earthling.

I have looked in device manager and there is a exclamation mark next to "network controller." When I double click on that the status says:
    "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click update Driver."

When I click update Driver (I cannot search the internet so can only "browse my computer") this results in "Windows was unable to install your Network Controller."

"Windows could not find driver software for your device."

Jan

6. Earthling

You mentioned an external adapter, would it be possible to use that? If not, would it be possible to connect the two machines using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? That would enable the crippled machine to access the net via the working machine. Otherwise we are going to need a bit more information about this machine and your operating system in order to try and identify the missing driver. ICS is the easiest and if you Google internet connection sharing there are lots of pages on how.

I'm not going to be around much for a few hours but hopefully others can answer any questions.

7. Earthling

Kicking myself here. Do you have an Ethernet cable, and is it possible to reach the router with it? That is your very easiest way of getting an internet connection and updating the wireless driver.

8. Jan Scrivens

Thanks again Earthling,
    No, I don't have ethernet or router. I am currently in a static caravan and am using wifi only.
    I have downloaded a driver on another machine and transferred it via memory stick to the damaged one but although it runs and appears to complete set up, it doesn't then show up in Network Connections.
    The driver i from the Lenovo site and is Intel WLAN Driver
    Product version 17.0.1.5
    I hope this is the correct one.
    I uninstalled 2 things with Realtek icons in Revo, so wonder if the other thing which is missing is required to allow the driver to work? Unfortunately I do not know what the other thing was!
    In "Programmes" I still have Realtek---Bluetooth; Ethernet Controller Driver and Definition Audio Driver.
    If you tell me what other info you need I'll do my best to send it.
    Jan

9. Earthling

Hi Jan

Need to know which Lenovo you have - my Thinkpad Edge E335 has a Broadcom 802.11n wifi adapter so I don't think it's much good guessing. Also, is "Network controller" all it says for the problem device in Device Manager?

Coming back to ICS, this could be made to work work if you can beg, steal or borrow a cable to connect it to your working machine. Instructions HERE for 7 or Vista. What Windows version btw?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  10. Jan Scrivens

It's a Lenovo Flex 2-14 running W 8.1

I'm not sure how ICS would help because I already have internet access on another machine so I can download and transfer by memory stick to broken machine.

I need to know what it is I have to download. I need to know which software is actually missing so that I can find and replace it.

In Device Mnagaer under Network Adapters the only Realtek item is Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller with no yellow marks.

Under Other Devices there is Network Controller with a yellow exclamation mark. This is the one with options to download drivers. Ah, now I see how ICS might be useful!

Jan

11. Earthling

12. Earthling

13. Earthling

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds