East-tec Eraser or what?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harvey, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Harvey

Harvey Private E-2

Fellow Geekers,
    A co-worker of mine is planning on setting up a linux box for security. He asked me of all people,is there a way or software that he could use to permanently delete the information on his linux log files. The only thing that comes to mind is East-tec eraser but I do not know if it can be used on the linux platform. Is there something out there that can be used on the linux platform that not even hardware recovery tools can recover? Can I please get some help on this one? I do not know what to tell him.

Many thanks,
    Harvey

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Data recovery is big business. Basicly unless you take a drill and drill the HD there is always a chance someone will recover it. It's for this reason that many companies won't sell off old HD's anymore. They drill them because if someoen wants to badly enough they can recover data.

That being said I don't really know of one. But why does he want to delete the logs? If it's his own server he can turn logging off. If it's not his own server he's wasting his time. Log files are usually mirrored and/or emailed out automaticly to administrators every day. So deleting it won't cover up anything. In fact it's more likely to cause someone to look at the backups to see why the logs were deleted in the first place.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

East-Tec Eraser uses the algorithms that Peter Guttman produced in aid of erasing data so it couldnt easily be recovered... various methods use multiple passes that jumble up the data so if recovered would read as junk....

Try searching for any Linux software that uses Peter Guttmans algorithims?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds