"XP Antivirus 2008"

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Nate G., Aug 30, 2008.

1. Nate G.

Nate G. Private E-2

Hi:
    Pentium 4 XP sp2.
    Having much trouble.
    My "All Programs" disappeared and I don't even see "Run", either. No visible access to "Doc's & Settings" but "XP Antivirus 2008" keeps taking over the screen, posing as Windows Security Centre.
    New user. I ran HiJackThis, but it is zipped and I don't know how to send it to you.
    Please help me get through this?
    Can I do something in Safe Mode to bypass all my missing "Information" and run a virus check without all the pop-ups?
    Many thanks.
    Nate G.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and Welcome. :)

Hijack this in not sufficient in ridding your machine of malware.

You will need to follow all instructions in this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 and post your logs in a New thread in the Malware Forum.

As part of those instructions, Hijack This will be installed in the correct way so please uninstall what you have before following the malware removal guide.

If you have an questions regarding the intructions, start a thread in the Malware forum and someone will help you.

3. Nate G.

Nate G. Private E-2

Thank you Laura:

I am unable to uninstall HiJackThis because I have no 'Run" option, when I click my 'Start" to access the Registry.
    I tried to uninstall it from Add/Remove, but it said it's running and wouldn't let me uninstall. I thought I could unclick it, in the Start-Up option in Registry.
    That's the main thing - I can't access "Run" at all, in order to type "msconfig" and follow further instructions.
    I'm sorry to have to ask this before I can get started with the instructions re Malware removal, but I don't know how else to Delete HiJackThis, or how to find, "Run", since it's not in Start.
    Thanks!
    Nate

4. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

you need to direct all the malware related questions in the Malware Forum which is the appropriate place considering they are the only ones qualified to asisst you with this matter :) This is a welcome centre only

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds