Cant Install a Mobo VGA Driver - period

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rik_na, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

This is absolutely driving me mad. I decide, to reinstall my O/S, yes I know what was I thinking, and I have put on a legal (before anyone asks) XP Prof. Fine. Now my system is an MSI PM8PM-v 2gb 3.2 celeron running a HIS X1650 Radeon gfx.

So I go to install the Radeon Catalyst drivers and software for my system as I have done countless times before and they wont install, claiming that they cant find the hardware or some other unrelated message. So I look at the vga drivers, and none have been installed, and the MSI drivers VGA drivers I downloaded to deal with this issue wont install. I bodge the vga drivers by installing just the ATI radeon vga drivers which had worked okay earlier, but which now reduce my computer to 24 colours. I am completely flumoxed. Any ideas at all? I just cannot fathom this at all and I am looking towards the bin wondering if this is a bit of hardware on the way out.

Any suggestions welcomed.

2. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Fair enough i'll supply the answer then: dont ask me why, because I am still unsure, however, if the computer is rebuilt using VGA drivers for the onboard graphics on the MSI PM8PM-v mb and then the AGP gfx card, a HIS tuned Radeon x1650, is installed and then its drivers are added, then the Freecom dongle will work. I ascribe this to a faliure in XP SP1 or SP2 to actually install two sets of gfx drivers for some reason when an AGP card is present. Not sure why, I would have thought it would default to the XP vga drivers for the mobo when required but c'est le vie.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You must install the motherboard chipset drivers first. THEN install the video drivers. Chances are when you are installing the onboard video drivers (from CD, perhaps?), then it is also installing the motherboard chipset drivers as well, or perhaps they are bundled.

Windows XP does not have an AGP miniport driver, which is required for proper video card detection, for all motherboard chipsets out there.

4. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Yup, installed the chipset drivers first, sorry should have said that, then the onboard VGA drivers would not install at all hence the post. The chipset and vga drivers are different and not bundled. The only way round it was as cited, to remove the AGP card first. However, its still not happy, it keeps resetting the display on reboot, to the same settings as it is supposed to, but still...

5. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

A set of omega drivers for the ATI finally sorted this all out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds