hard drive almost full

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhaneski, May 24, 2005.

1. rhaneski

rhaneski Private E-2

compaq armada m700 p2 365 128mb ram 6gb hd fat 32 xpsp1
    Hard drive is down to 600 mb and I can't see why.
    file size does not display next to every folder even though it appears to be set in tools, folder options.
    those that do display do not appear to be overly large

any insight would be appreciated.
    THANKS

2. ratler

ratler Private E-2

Maybe I'm missing something in your post. Bring up the Windows Explorer, click the View button, then click on Details. That should cause the size of the individual files to get displayed.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have to agree, XP is a bit greedy and can use vast amounts of HD space, eg. My windows folder is at 3.09gb and thats not including installed programs or saved data!

Dont remember XP by default in explorer showing you the data size of folder contents, it does for file sizes ( I maybe wrong tho ) but you can use this free app to give you that functionality FolderSize install then in explorer choose Detailed View and click on the title bar ( Name, Size, Type one ) and right click and choose Folder Size from the list, you will then get a reading of what size the folder contents are.

4. DavidGP

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

I like that dirsize.dll file. I've already wrote a script to auto install this dll.

6. DavidGP

very nice theefool, could you attach it as I wouldnt mind having an auto install so I can install it on a few PCs? :)

7. rhaneski

rhaneski Private E-2

got it,
    I stil cant see why its showing as 887 mb free out of 6 gb
    program files are 1303mb
    and windows is 2849 mb, everything else is 2, 10, 12 etc doesnt look like it shoud add up to 5.gb

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Very simple script really. Hmmm, doesn't like the extension...

Anway, here it is:

Code:
    copy dirsize.dll c:\windows\system32
    regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\dirsize.dll

save the file as whatever.bat, also make sure that where ever you put this .bat file, it is in the same location as the .dll

Yes, very generic, but, perhaps later on tonight I'll make an installer.

9. Rage2K

Rage2K Private E-2

Your HDD shows 6 gig available or is that how big the manufacturer says it is? Also, why aren't you using an NTFS partition instead of the FAT32?? Just wondering :)

10. rhaneski

rhaneski Private E-2

properties shows 6.03 capacity with 5.17gb used and 885 mb free

I'm looking at it for a friend who couldnt install a program, probably cause there was no more hd space, it was originally a win 98 box which he dumped xp pro on.

deleteing hasn't really cleared up much space

11. DavidGP

Is System Restore enabled? if so to reclaim some space as restore points can take up alot of space goto My Computer > right click the C: Drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup > More Options and under System Restore click cleanup ( this will remove all but the last SR point )

once done you can also while in Disk Cleanup clear Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files which will gain some more space back.

It also as stated earlier maybe a time to upgrade the HD to a bigger one.

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just out of curiousity, do a Search/Find for instances if Index.dat. How big are they. They should be deleted every net session. Windows will recreate them next time you boot up. Try these 3, if you haven't already got them..

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

Do a defrag, also, to tidy up after cleaning up. Bazza

===

13. rhaneski

rhaneski Private E-2

cleaning up system restore help, up to 1.13 gb free
    index .dat several at 32kb

wil run cc cleaner

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds