Dell Optiplex GX620 won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sam1911, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 minitower that was working just fine until a couple of weeks ago, no problems at all. One day, however, it wouldn't power up; instead of the green power light, I got a blinking amber light. I tried unplugging everything from it and letting it sit for a bit, but it still won't power up, and it still gives me the blinking amber light.

I have checked the chassis intrusion switch, and I have replaced the motherboard. I've also verified that the power supply is functional. We did try unplugging the memory and video cards, and it still won't work. We also checked that all of the USB ports seem to be fine. We also tried a different power cord. None of the diagnostic lights come on at all.

Any more ideas?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

A blinking amber light on a Dell is almost always fixed by replacing the power supply. You said you verified yours was working but didn't say if you tried another. I would try another power supply.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Most of the people in this link reported problems with shorted USB ports. As you have already checked that, I would double check the PSU and if possible exchange with a known good one. One person had to replace the front USB panel before it was able to boot.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19243646/19376335.aspx

This link references a PSU replacement.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25429465-Dell-GX620-won-t-start-has-blinking-amber-power-button

Crap: Missed sach2's post again. Wish there was a warning that other people posted before submitting.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Thanks for the help, everyone. We had thought the power supply was okay, but then we swapped it with the one from our other identical computer, and now it boots. So now I'm off to find a replacement power supply so that both computers work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds