User account DISAPPEARED!!! (kind of?)

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 28, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Win2000 SP4 - this PC has an Admin account with no password and it logs in fine and works fine. The other user account we'll call John. When the system boots up, John appears by default in the login Account name box, but the password no longer works. If I boot to the Admin account and go to User Accounts in the Control Panel, the John account isn't listed anywhere, but if I go to Documents & Settings, there is a folder for John with all the correct documents and whatnot. So I think something happened to the user account configuration file (the SAM file?) to where John has been not-quite-removed but "disconnected" somehow. If I create a new account and call it "John", will the new account pick up the previous John docs, settings, desktop, etc? Should I just create a new account and call it "John-1" and copy all the docs and whatnot from the old John to the new "John-1" account? If I do that, and then copy the Desktop folder into the new account, will all the desktop icons and shortcuts and programs work as they did previously? Basically, I'm looking for a solution here, so anyone with ANY thoughts and ideas or suggestions, PLEASE feel free to post. And there's a bit of a time crunch here so sooner is better than later.
    :-D
    Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds