computer shuts down / restarts when playing games

Discussion in 'Software' started by slippingintomadness, Sep 12, 2009.

1. slippingintomadness

slippingintomadness Private E-2

I absolutely can't figure this out, and so far no one else has either. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas.

The issue is that when I play certain games my system shuts down and restarts in the middle of playing (Its not just restarting because the power light go out and the fans stop for a few secs before coming back on). Some games take 2 hours before it turns off for the first time, others only take 20 min. and some don't give me issues no matter how long i play. Once the system shuts down the first time it doesn't take as long for the game to cause shutdowns after that (Usually under 10 min.).

At first this sounds like a heating issue, however, some games never give me issues, even if I play after the problem games cause a shutdown. Also the temps look fine to me (both CPU and GPU). I also don't believe the issue is with my PSU because it is an ultra X3 1000-watt.

I currently don't have any add-on cards except for my Video card and a sound card. I have tried removing the sound card but still have issues. All the parts are nearly brand new with the exception of the sound card, and since I built the system I really haven't used the system all that much till recently. I have ran a RAM test and it did not fail so I don't have reason t suspect that.

My system has the following:
    Intel DX48BT2 Mobo.
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83 GHz
    XFX GeForce GTX 280 xxx edition.
    Ultra X3 1000-watt PSU.
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    4GB RAM
    Windows XP Pro.

Sorry for the long description

2. slippingintomadness

Thought I would attach info from CPU and GPU logs from one of the times the system shutdown.

Attached Files:

3. slippingintomadness

Sorry - one last thing...
    One of the games that shuts down in the least amount of time is Tomb Raider Anniversary. However, Tomb Raider Underworld which came out right after and has a similar look and feel, works perfectly with no issues, no matter how long I play.

4. slippingintomadness

I have still been working on this problem and I noticed that in Windows Vista the games that cause issues in XP work fine if I turn off UAC. Both games causing me trouble are XP and Vista compatible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds