still can't view .pdf files in browser (despite much effort and research)

Discussion in 'Software' started by navyandcream, Oct 26, 2004.

1. navyandcream

navyandcream Private E-2

I have spent the last three hours trying to figure out how to view .pdf files in my browser. I could do so at one time but I fear that somehow my registry got changed when another computer forum helped me eliminate some spyware with Hijack This recently. In any case, I have Windows XP, use IE 6, have enabled my Run ActiveX controls, reinstalled the newest version of Acrobat Reader as well as my other Adobe software, restarted my computer more than once, and have visited about twenty sites on the process of enabling .pdf viewing in IE. Still, I can only right-click to save files. When I check the manage add-ons, I can see that the Adobe .pdf capability is disabled and I cannot fix it. It says I need administrator approval though I am the administrator. The related file is AcroIEFavClient.dll What can/should I do to view these files? Thank you.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check and see if you have the Display PDF in browser box checked.

Open Adobe Reader > Edit > Preferences > Internet > Display PDF in browser.

Steve

3. navyandcream

navyandcream Private E-2

yes it is and in my earlier research it had been suggested that I look at that before. Thanks anyway.

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Uhm, would it hurt for you to try Firefox?

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do a search and make sure that AcroIEFavClient.dll is located where it should be. See below:

What is it?
    Adobe Acrobat IE plugin - acroiefavclient.dll

What does it do?
    If you'd like to open your PDF documents directly in IE you will want to keep this file. This is the browser plugin.

Virus Precautions:
    You'll want to keep an eye on this google search for any known viruses. The normal location of this file is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll

Steve

6. navyandcream

navyandcream Private E-2

AcroIEFavClient.dll is where it's supposed to be. I don't need Firefox because once I have a .pdf downloaded I can open it with Adobe. The problem is that I want to view the document in the browser.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try this,

Follow these instructions to configure Internet Explorer for Windows on a PC to use Acrobat Reader:

1. Exit from Internet Explorer.

2. Start Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later.

3. In Acrobat Reader, choose File > Preferences > General: option.

4. Make sure that there is no tick in the box beside Web Browser Integration in the Options area of the General Preferences dialog box. If there is a tick in the box, click on the box beside Web Browser Integration to remove the tick.

5. Click OK, and then exit from the Acrobat Reader.

6. Restart Internet Explorer.

Steve

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

What do your file options say about the file? Is the content type (MIME) set to application/pdf?

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds