Need Advice on Tablet Purchase

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by ramdean, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramdean

ramdean Private E-2

Seems like I'm living on the edge in my old age...like converting from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 tomorrow (7/29) and, the reason for my query, buying an inexpensive 'Toshiba - Encore 2 - 10" - Intel Atom - 32GB' Tablet.

Can anyone comment on its reliability?

Many thanks!
    Ramdean

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Personally, I would not want Windows on a tablet but that's me. When I researched, I settled on an Android tablet. (Tablet shares by OS: Android and iOS are the top two OSes for tablets, with 67.3 percent and 27.6 percent share, respectively, of the 229.7 million units shipped in 2014. Windows had just a 5.1 percent market share, according to research released by IDC this was March 15, 2015).

Here are some reviews
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464...indows-8-tablet-goes-easy-on-your-wallet.html

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/toshiba-encore-2-10inch

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What will you be doing with the tablet?

4. ramdean

ramdean Private E-2

Low to mid-level activity like I use the laptop. Very little bizness, mostly
    use Yahoo for email, news, financial checks, crossword puzzles, my wife bejewels it to death, access to Kindle and other e-reader stuff and Microsoft Words documents, photos and music storage. I hope to learn how to download movies and transfer to my TV.

Many thanks for you advice.

Ramdean

5. ramdean

ramdean Private E-2

One other Q...which of the Samsung Tablets in the tab 2 and s series would accommodate my needs?

Ramdean

6. plodr

The Samsung Tab2 came out in 2012. I'm not sure you want to buy 3 year old hardware. Particularly with the latest Stagefright bug discovered in Android.

They might be up to Galaxy S6 now
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Go Android unless you need a program that does not have an Android analogue. Three years is a long time in tablet years and those Samsungs are nice tablets.

8. plodr

But how quick is Samsung to upgrade? I wouldn't want a tablet running IceCream sandwich when Lollipop is now the current Android OS.

Some tablets just don't update. Fortunately my ASUS which came with KitKat has been upgraded to Lollipop.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds