Asus A8N-e chipset fan failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by croldham, Apr 18, 2007.

1. croldham

croldham Private E-2

Greetings,

I have two Asus A8N-e motherboards. They have been good boards, I've had very little trouble with them. In fact I have been partial to Asus products for some time. However, these two boards both have chipset fans that have failed--the fans turn very slowly and make an awful grinding noise that is quite annoying.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to remove them--they are not attached to the mobo by screws, there are some funny spring-loaded standoffs, and I can't tell if there is thermal paste or thermal cement underneath.

Anyone who has experience with these fans, can you tell me how to get them off? Or should I just disconnect them and somehow stick a secondary fan on top of them?

2. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

The chipset on that board is a well known problem. Asus products are good. Don't stick a fan on top of a broken fan. I am not sure how they are supposed to be removed, but I would call Asus on this. This is a very common problem and they very often will send you a new board if you call them, so I do not know if the fan itself is easily removed.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have the same board and when I cold boot (rig's been off for a while) I get a BIOS message telling me it's not turning fast enough to hit F1. but after the rig is on, it's turning at 3K RPM. It was recommended to me to lift the sticker and put some sewing machine oil in and replace the sticker. However, mine isn't making noise yet. Don't put another fan on top, , I really doubt that would work. I'll look into how to change it too as I will probably have to sooner or later..

4. croldham

croldham Private E-2

Let me know if you have any luck. Last time I cracked the case I forgot to get the mobo serial number and version--the Asus support form requires these things to submit a support request. Maybe I'll get the incentive this weekend to do that.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds