My New Phone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Verizon sent me an upgrade notice via the mail, so I was like.....SURE.

http://adrynalyne.colemanguy.com/dare.jpg

Tips to people having trouble with it--calibrate with a stylus and the lightest touch possible.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats kinda cool, looks a tad like an iPhone!

So whats first impressions?

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good. Posting from it now.

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Is that the LG?

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

If you get tired of it, send it my way adryn;)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, with a bit of customizing.

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What kind of a plan did they do you?

How do you keep your jeans so blue? LOL

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I had to pick up a data plan of sorts to cover MB usage. Of course they didn't tell me beforehand, so they tried to stick me with a music sub, and a data plan.

Without telling me about the music sub. Idiots.

They removed it though, and the data plan is only 15 /mo due to it not being a smart phone. I got a free month there, I might cancel it after and be sneaky ;)--but its nice to have email access.

9. CarolinaCrawdad

CarolinaCrawdad Private E-2

How well does it browse the web? Page formatting??

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I wanna know what one needs to do in order to get an upgrade notice. My girlfriend gets $100 off coupons in the mail too. I've never gotten any offers. :(

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I get upgrade notices regularly with AT&T too. Basically I log on to my account online and can see if there is an upgrade opportunity available to me. Don't know how Verizon does it if you are with them.

12. LauraR

I'm Verizon. I have never gotten one offer. I'm wondering if I've been throwing stuff out that I've been getting.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, I've heard a couple of ways it happens. You gotta sign up to receive the Verizon deals/offers/mail/crap. Also, if you are a VIP customer, (previously Merits program), you get extra offers. They also have loyalty discounts if you have been with the company for a while. It would be worth it for you to call 611 and talk to someone and see if they can offer you anything.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Decent outside of this house. All the trees around it block cell reception and EVDO. So I get tops 200 Kilobits connection. But if I move outside the evil ring of trees, I move up to a megabit or higher.

As for rendering, its not bad. It still loads wap versions of some sites, which is fine really. It supports javascript, but no flash. Its no iPhone in that respect.

Youtube works just fine. You can zoom in and out, and use a zoom "rectangle" to quickly move to different parts of the page. Browsing the web on any phone just stinks though.

15. LauraR

I've been with them for about 15 yrs. Jeez, it's kinda like a marriage at this point. :-D

I doubt I signed up for the deals/crap since I always opt out. I'll look online. Thanks adry. Btw, no go on the env2? What happened?...did you look on ebay? :-D

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My wife wants me to wait to make a decision....you know how women are rolleyes ;) She has a Treo 700P, and might decide to use it so....it sits here unused and lonely.

I've been with Verizon that long too. They have offered me a loyalty discount before, if I recall correctly, its a one time shot of ~100 dollars. I had to call and whine like a baby to get it though.

17. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

ive been looking at that one myself but for some reason I have it in my head that I need a windows mobile device. Even though I will never pay for a data plan, cause I'll never use it.

Still looking at the xv6900 and sch-i760 samsung...

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

19. BluesMan

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm certain it will :)

21. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

prefers my rotary dial home phone

22. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Data plan optional? So you could do pay as you go and just add on msging? I just got a stipend from work from using my personal cell and it starts with a cash sum to upgrade :D

And does this mean your number has now changed or are you just ignoring me? :p

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm ignoring ya ;)

Actually, I was watching the season 4 finale of Stargate Atlantis ;)

Being that my phone has this short fricking USB cable to charge--it stays in the office at night.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

On my second Dare.

Heh.

25. LauraR

Your second?

Did you get another? And I don't even have a first yet. :-(

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The light sensors on the first one died. The screen would turn off when a call connected, but would not turn back on when moved from the side of your head.

Which meant, no pressing 0 for operator, etc, because the dial pad was locked, and of course, not lit.

27. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Im sick of my iphone and this touch crap, its overrated. I miss buttons. I miss call clarity. Wish they could make a GOOD phone, then the rest, that would be sweet. Almost considering a Blackberry again. Hate to give Apple 200 bucks AGAIN when there are questions about the new 3g chip.

28. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Well that helps me in my decision MA. I'm a tactile person too...buttons rock. So I'm blowing off the iPhone and LG Vu, and still looking at either the Blackberry Pearl Titanium or the Moto Q Global - which really appeals as I use a phone as a phone mostly and it has a 9 hour talk time and 30 day stand by time! I have a HP iPAQ PDA for all the other jazz.

Any comments on the Moto or Blackberry by anyone who has hands on experience of them (not just a outsider opinion/preference)?

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LG has haptic feedback, which I have found suffices for tactile touch.

My two cents anyway.

30. BluesMan

And I wish the engineers designing the buttons onthe phones would take into account that some guys have big hands. I almost broke a phone trying to push the right buttons while texting. It's like they design the buttons with little girls in mind, not that there's anything wrong with that. rolleyes

31. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

I totally agree with you... :)

32. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

I have a cell phone question: I have Rogers plan. Rogers tells me that to upgrade my phone I must renew with a different plan...so... I started with a Nokia flip phone. To change cellphone without Rogers changing my plan, I would buy a Nokia pay as you go phone, remove my phone chip from the original and place it into my new pay as you go phone and it works... I've been doing it for several years now....
    :confused My Question is : would my original chip from my Nokia cell phone work with another type of pay as you go cell phone such as Samsung or LG or other??

I'm looking to buy a new one...I hope someone knows the answer to this one. :)

Feedback is appreciated !

33. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Well thanks for the non feedback...lol :-D In case anyone is interested to the answer of my question : It is YES. A teckie from another geek site has told me that I can switch the chip to another model as long as it is the same provider... :) I tried it...and it worked !

I is a Royally Happy Shelagh :celebrate

34. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

1. You hijacked someone else's thread. Start a new thread in future ;)

2. Maybe no one had an answer to your question, hence no reply :)

35. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds