Boot sector error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tyee, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Tyee

Tyee Private E-2

I'm using an older Compaq Presario 1200 laptop with Win98SE, Athlon K6 475M, 128M RAM. When I try to shut down from the start menu, with <shut down> selected, the system reboots. I used a utility (I forget which one) that told me that it detected a "boot sector error". The system seems to run normally except for that.

As it stands, if I wish to completely shut down the computer I have to use the on/off switch, which causes 'ScanDisk' to run the next time I use the machine. Any way to fix this, short of re-installing Windows?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

How old is the hard drive?

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

4. Tyee

Tyee Private E-2

Thanks for the responses.

The hard drive is the original one with this machine, purchased new in 2001.

Also, as to disabling the 'fast shutdown' option in the registry, I still find occaisionally that I need to shut down manually if the system hangs or something like that; fortunately this isn't a frequent occurrance, but I'm hesitant to disable it.

Thanks
    Max

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds