Copy of text messages?

Discussion in 'Software' started by miss40i, Oct 22, 2008.

1. miss40i

miss40i Private E-2

Is there a program out there that I can get that will automatically send a copy of text messages that my son gets on his cell phone send to my computer or my cell phone?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly highly doubt it as the cellular network doesnt without physically connecting your phone to PC communicate with each other, most phones are not geared to having applications and key/text logging applications installed on them, and I have never heard of anything like what you wish to do outside of goverment security agencies and they wont part with that technology to capture phone transmissions.

I likely know why your asking this for his safety or cheking on behavour thats not normal, but this technology is as I mentioned in the relms of security forces, be that in the USA, the NAS, CIA, FBI and in UK, MI5 and SIS, other countries have their own security services that can monitor cellular traffic, but you and me sadly not.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I swear my local new channel was running a bumper about this this AM, but I didn't get to see the whole story & cannot find anything on their websites either... my guess is it is coming.

http://www.mymobilewatchdog.com/works.shtml

4. DavidGP

Good find Foogoo, I'd never have thought that the privacy laws of most countries would let this one through as it opens all sorts of issues on privacy and while you could force a child to accept these type of powered phone, could it be used without contacting the other party you wish to snoop on!?

But it seems that its out their but only on specific phones as in Nokia Symbian powered S60 phones and at a cost so a new phone and extra plan is needed

http://www.nokia.com/A41031264

Likely only seeing this being ruled ok in the USA, UK telecommunications law as it stands now outlaws snooping, unless by the agencies I only thought could do this.

5. miss40i

miss40i Private E-2

I checked that website and unfortunately for me, it does not work on most Verizon phones, just their smartphones. I submitted a request to Verizon about this feature. They do have the Chaperone feature to be able to track my child wherever he is, which is great!! They just need to go one step further to help protect our children.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I disagree. I think it would be a great tool for monitoring kids. It should only be available through the company you have your service through for a minor on your plan. And should only work for the texts that are sent from that phone....not those received by the other party.

Thanks for the article foogoo.

apologies for offtopic sidenote in advance...I'm always facinated that people think it's ok to monitor others computers (spouses, kids, employees, etc) but they have this thing about phones.:confused

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Excuse me while I climb atop my high horse but when I grew up I didn't have a phone in my hand everywhere I went and my parents didn't snoop into my doings, I guess they figured I was brought up knowing right from wrong and trusted me. It amazes me that cell phones are now an umbilical cord for parents.
    But now days we are also told to fear everything, there is a boogey man around every corner waiting and that phone is going to save us. I actually grew up and remember being told about Adam Walsh being abducted, but I still would leave my parents side to find the Atari2600 demo in the stores to hang out there.
    Its gotten so if I leave my house without my phone I worry "what if ..."

Oh well end of rant. Thanks

8. DavidGP

@miss40i ~ glad you found something to allow you to monitor as you wanted.

I actually agree with the text of yours I quoted MarkT, this is open to abuse and would in a small number of cases not be used for purpose, while I agree kids need to be at times kept safe and/or in check, their is the scope for someone to say that this is to be used monitoring a childs phone but in reality is not, it could be checking a spouse or another!

I think in miss40i 's case this is a good use of tech for her to monitor where her child is and keep them safe from harm as we know in the internet as in IMs or Social Networking sites, anyone can be anyone and we have all heard of the cases of older folk praying on the younger.

BUT I would want to know how does this firm double check that their software and service is being used for intended purpose.

I'm in a security and data mood today after chatting with our ISO (Infomation Security Officer) and Security Manager on the use of IMs and online document storage sites etc in a Gov. organisation and the inherent risk of data loss and privacy of records.

9. bhowardtn1

bhowardtn1 Private E-2

For me the point is not protecting my child from predators as much as having a view into his world. My son is 12 and is an avid texter. I thought all was on the up and up until we inadvertently came across text messages to his 12 yr old "girlfriend" where he was telling her he loved her. I'm quite sure he would not and has not said this to her face, but texting provides a hidden place to communicate where there are no bounds. I quickly concluded this wasn't the way I want my son to learn to communicate with females. Text messaging is a great tool, but not the means to establishing a relationship. I want a means to monitor periodically what my son is writing. There is no right to privacy for a 12 yr old in text messaging, in my opinion.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds