How to use Netgear router as wireless access point?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmhewitt, Jul 18, 2005.

1. jmhewitt

jmhewitt Private E-2

I have a Netgear wgr614 wireless router that I would like to use as an access point in the network. The network gets internet access thru a Sprint 645 ADSL modem/router, and that more or less works ok except some internet addresses seem to be unavailable....but I will deal with that later.

I need to use the router as a wireless access point because we have a computer in another part of the building that we cannot wire (rest of the network is wired thru a switch), but can reach it with a wireless signal.

we need to access a server on the base network, so connecting the Netgear router and let it do its router thing on another system like 192.168.5.x (as we have elsewhere in the office) won't work.

I can't get it to function as an access point.

Michael

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I don't know if this would work, but could you connect the wireless router directly to the internet then the network box to one of the ports on the router????

3. jmhewitt

jmhewitt Private E-2

Actually, no, I don't think that would work.

I did some research on the Netgear site, and they address this issue directly...followed the instructions, and it works fine:

1. Plug a network cable from the switch which is connected to the Sprint Modem/Router into a LAN port on the Netgear router. this is key: the Sprint Modem/Router goes into the uplink port on the switch (as I recall), and a regular LAN cable from the switch goes into a LAN port on the Netgear Wireless Router (not the WAN port). Don't use a crossover cable, at least with the Netgear Routers.

2. Set the internal LAN address of the Netgear Router to (I used) 192.168.1.99) an unused address in the Sprint Router table. You don't need to do anything to the Sprint Router. Mark the box in the DHCP section of the Netgear Router that disables DHCP.

3. Do not try an assign a WAN address to the Netgear Router: let it fire up automatically - on our network it got the address 192.168.1.33.

4. a computer on this Netgear wireless segment shouild also get an address automatically, although I am not sure I tested that...I may have already assigned a fixed IP 198.162.1.66 to that computer and filled in the DNS servers manually.....will check next time I am there...

Michael

P.S. you can also cascade routers: Netgear tech support showed me how to do that on another network. we used a LAN address in the Netgear Router of 192.168.5.1. I have forgotten which port we plugged the cable from the modem into. of course, this setup give two mutually non-accessible segments, which was not our need in the network the subject of this query.

....and now to try and figure out why the Sprint Modem/Router won't let you go to some sites!!!

4. jmhewitt

jmhewitt Private E-2

Mcadam88: Actually, that would probably work too - see the P.S. in my reply below. the problem is that the wireless router is not in the server closet where the Sprint modem is, so I would need two long cables: one from the Sprint to the Netgear, and then another back to the switch....and I only have one already pulled.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds