something is fried... but what?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by armofreek, Oct 5, 2005.

1. armofreek

armofreek Private E-2

ok.. for the past few weeks my computer has been sloowwly slowing down, more and more every day, and the other night, it finally had enough and crashed (powered down) in the middle of cs:s, no warning, and with alot of burnt curcuitry smell. So now when i try and power the machine on, the fans and lights come on for about a quarter of a second, and then die, like a dead car. I have tried replacing the powersupply, and the motherboard, but i had the same problem both times. I'm thinking it's the processor itself, but if anyone knows whats going on, PLEASE POST...

amd64 3000+
    512mbx2 pc3200 kingston value memory
    gigabyte ga-k8ns ultra-939 mobo
    ati radeon 9600xt 128mb
    creative audigy zs 2
    1 200GB sata drive
    2 ide drives, 40gb and 80gb
    500w power supply (brand unknown)
    water cooling system with cpu and vga blocks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ew, yeah...that's NO fun....

You've tried replacing the PSU and motherboard? In what order? I hope you didn't try replacing the motherboard first, because if you had a faulty PSU, that would mean you could quite possibly have damaged BOTH mobos.

First try resetting CMOS, see if it helps, and then try reseating the memory, and clearing CMOS. That may help you a bit. The procedure to do so should be in your motherboard's manual.

3. armofreek

armofreek Private E-2

i tried the psu first.. i'm no nub.. i'm also at work right now.. ill try the cmos when i get home, but i don't think that is the problem, considering i had the same problem with multiple motherboards, one of them being bran new.. ugh... technology blows...

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I bet it might. I had a VERY similar problem with my own machine. It would boot, then die just like you are describing. Clearing the CMOS corrected the issue and I haven't had a problem since.

i tried the psu first.. i'm no nub..

And I'm sorry if I seem condescending. Its just not prudent to overlook anything.

5. armofreek

armofreek Private E-2

thank you mucho grande!

sorry for the crudence, work gets me antsy in my pantsy.. hehe

6. kucalana

kucalana Private E-2

i think ur ram.try replace ur ram cause u said something burn.value ram always burnout.

7. armofreek

armofreek Private E-2

AAAAHH!!! i tried resetting the CMOS, didn't work, same problem. i bought a bran new 512 stick of kingston hyper x 3200, loaded it in, and it didn't work, same problem... now i'm definatly thinking it's the processer.

anyone?

8. armofreek

armofreek Private E-2

if anyone can give me any advice on this problem, PLEASE DO!! I really don't want to have to resort to taking my machine to a shop.. yuck... :'(

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You should do a flow test on your watercooling system clear out any air bubbles make sure you dont have too many radiators and hose for the size of your pump,sounds like something is overheating are you doing any overclocking,do you have any case ventilation for the rest of your components,I wish I could lend you my nose I find it quite easy to track down burnt circuitry,that would be the best way to find the cause of the prob :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds