Backing up the Registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by abri, Jul 12, 2006.

1. abri

abri MajorGeek

How do I do this? MS says to go to Start/AllPrograms/Accessories/SystemPrograms/Backup
    I don't have Backup

Someone said I can just go to the registry with regedit (best in Safe Mode), click on files/export and export the registry to the desktop with a name like regdate. Then if I need to redo the registry, I can go into safe mode again and double click on this and it will merge this registry with the one that's running. Does this work? It seems awfully simple.

abri

2. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

Yes this does work. Windows has its own special file type (.reg) for this sort of thing. Though I have never actually had occasion to merge a registry backup with my registry, I backup often.

If for some reason this sounds unappealing to you, you could use CCleaner to clean up your registry (under "Issues" on the left hand side), and it will give you the option backup your registry. This will also simply create a .reg file.

3. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

Yep, unbelievable as it may seem. ;)
    My WinXP complete registry export results in a 55 Mb .reg file which then I can neatly pack with winRAR in a 2.46 Mb file.

Regards

4. abri

abri MajorGeek

Is the one in CCleaner adequate if something goes wrong with your registry? Does it back up the whole registry? If I would use that method, does it need to be made in Safe Mode or does that matter?
    Thanks.
    abri

5. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

Never mind, I just realized that I'm dumb. CCleaner only backs up registry entries that it removes from your system, not the entire registry. So, go with the export method.

And no, safe mode doesn't really make a difference.

6. abri

abri MajorGeek

So without actually running the CCleaner registry clean-up tool, you can get it to ask you if you want a registry backup? And if you say okay, then you can still stop it from cleaning up afterwards?
    abri

7. abri

abri MajorGeek

ok, I thought it might be so, because when I've done registry backups using one of the tools, they don't seem like 55 Mb. On the other hand, the export one someone made for me was awfully fast too. But you're right. It is that big. I have an old one someone made for me and it's that big. I hadn't thought about zipping it.
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds