Opening secured internet pages

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pavelvinicky, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Pavelvinicky

Pavelvinicky Private E-2

I can’t open any secured Internet pages, which required password (online banking, hotmail and so on) when I am using my satellite Internet connection, dialup connection works OK. Where is a problem?

CAN SOMEBODY HELP?

Pavel

2. YooperLady

YooperLady Private First Class

Pavel: I gather you are using IE to try and open the pages right? I have the DirecWay 6000 ( just upgraded from the 4000 ) and had the same problem. I finally went and downloaded Mozilla FireFox which is much better on secure sites. It has something to do with the proxy server that causes so many problems on the satelite connections to get to secure sites. If you want to try this, it may work also, but for faster browsing I make sure I put the proxy back in. Just go to IE Tools, Internet Properties, connections, and uncheck use a proxy server. This is the only way I can get to Windows update page, as the proxy server will block it. There is also a site that has alot of information and help for us people that have no options but to use satelite. They have installers there and have alot of great info available. You have to join the site, but it's well worth the 25.00 cost for a lifetime membership. Let me know if you want that address, as I am not sure that I am suppose to put it here, and I don't want to get into any trouble with the people who own this cool site.

3. Pavelvinicky

Pavelvinicky Private E-2

I have same problem when I am using Mozilla FireFox. This start happening about four or five days ago, I never had any problems before. It is OK to send me side address, you can do it to my email pavel@vinicky.net :) :)

Thanks

Pavel

4. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

What happens when you try to open a secure http page? Does it say, for example, page cannot be displayed that's it?

5. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Anything happen 4-5 days ago like install a patch?

In the meanwhile, just wondering if you have Norton. Not to accuse Norton necessarily, but I'd disable it and see if that fixes it. (then enable it back right away). You never know.

Also I don't like posting Microsoft KB articles, but http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444 is their list of fixes. It assumes you have Windows XP and goes through the list like checking for 128bit to cleaning temp files to checking trusted zones, etc.

Maybe it helps. Hopefully though somebody can provide something more specific.

6. YooperLady

I e-mailed you that link, and I am sure they can help over there.

7. YooperLady

Farbib: It's probaly something to do with some settings from the satelite system, and could also be something with Norton combined. I finallt dumped Norton and went to Avast, and Norton was a resorse hog. lol The site I sent Pavel to is for Satelite users and there is gobs of people over there that all they do is trouble shoot the problems with satelite. I sure hope they can get him fixed.

8. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

It is a good link YooperLady...I am not 100% to what the cause it but using Proxy and accessing secure sites causes the problem possibly. Another foreign site I also answer questions where quite a few people connecting to Internet through satellite or cell-phones seem to experiencing this problem as well.
    I experienced this at work where we are behind a Proxy + crap load of Cisco routers. I was not able to login to Yahoo, but this workaround was successful for me: if the site has a link that allow 'secure login' such as on yahoo/hotmail web sites instead of the normal/standard login method, try that. Also IE > Tools > Internet Options > General > Delete Cookies / Delete Files . check the box 'Delete All offline content', 1 more thing on the Content tab: click on AutoComplete > Clear Forms/Password. this could help too.

9. Pavelvinicky

Pavelvinicky Private E-2

I just get a blank page with message” Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.” Disabling a Norton didn’t help either. But I thank to all of you for your effort to help.

Pavel
    :)

10. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Sorry, it is one of those vague IE problems but I thought you had Mozilla Firefox and having the same problem? The reason I mentioned this is because the error refers to IE, if you haven't tried accessing that site using Firefox, please give it a shot.
    also if you are using XP, try this simple DNS cache flush:

Start > RUN > (type) cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns > OK (pay attention to the spaces)....this is all I got, hope it helps... :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds