Computer wont post.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by echostorm, Apr 5, 2006.

1. echostorm

echostorm Private E-2

Hey all,

I got a new mobo the other day. Everything worked fine until I discovered I installed the old 2.8 ghz instead of 3.0 ghz cpu.

I replaced cpus and in doing so I accidently got a bit of thermal paste on one of the pins on the cpu. I wipped it off to my best ability and plugged it in only to find the computer wouldnt post. I thought maybe it might be that the cpu is faulty with high doubt it could be the thermal paste. I then plugged the old one in and I have exactly the same problem.

I have isolated every other possible cause... i.e. memory, video card, psu by replacing the part. It is DEFINATLY the cpu or the new motherboard as there is no beep. I did notice some of the paste went a few holes where the pins go in on the motherboard. However the spillage was very minimal on both the mobo and cpu. I usually earth my self by holding the case but think maybe in my rush to clean the pins I let go. It was only for an instant tho and I live in one of the most humid areas in the world so I highly doubt i static shocked it. Could I have ruined my new cpu? or old one? or the new motherboard? Is it possible to test either of these things? I tried cleaning it with nail polish remover and using a pin in the holes on the motherboard but again still no luck.

Heelllllp :(

2. xxmonkey321xx

xxmonkey321xx Private E-2

Try testing the CPUs in the old motherboard, that way you know what is the problem. Most likely you blew your mother board.. perhaps the thermal paste is conductive, and shorted something out.. if thats the case you may have killed your CPUs also :(

Test them in a different mother board and tell us what happens

3. echostorm

echostorm Private E-2

A little hard cause the old motherboard was blown too. I read elsewhere that the thermal paste isnt conductive.

4. xxmonkey321xx

xxmonkey321xx Private E-2

Hmm... Idk what to say, if you got it from newegg or something ask for a RMA or return it to the store u bought it from, see if that is the problem. Anyone else wanna throw in their 2cents?

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Try this.. Unplug Computer and Earth yourself to rid body of any static. Unplug all Roms and HD's and take out graphics card and memory. Switch on run for a wee while and turn off. Add memory stick then boot again/turn off. Next put graphics card in and boot again/switch off, and continue to add HD's \ Roms etc. switching off and booting each time a component is installed. This will deternine hopefully if a component is faulty. Dont rush this.. and if you get any beep tones let us know.

6. echostorm

echostorm Private E-2

Nope... It is definatly not a component or psu. I even took it out of the case to check if the case was shorting the board.

Must be the cpu or mobo or both. If only there was some special way to check this.

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

You haven't told us if you have any fans spinning, lights on Mobo, ie. any signs of life. One way to determine if the fault lies with the CPU or the Mobo is to put the 2.8 (original processor) back in as i assume that is still OK.

8. echostorm

echostorm Private E-2

The fan is spinning and everything turns on, just no lights and no signal to the monitor. It acts as tho there is a monitor then stuffs up. I can even hear the harddrives start up but it just wont go any further, like it is stuck in oblivion.

9. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

echostorm;

what type of mobo is it what type of cpu and thermal paste is non conductive and is usually a good electrical insulator the worst case bad cpu's and bad mobo.
    try with ur self grounded to eliminate static cleaning the cpu and the mobo socket pins if u can remove the grease and then reseating the cpu, video, keyboard, mouse only ram and hd.

depending on the type of socket u may have a hard time getting it cleaned up, it is worth the try alcohol swabs (for electronics), can of air, and ground wrist strap, maybe Radio Shack or equliv.

asturnacle

10. echostorm

echostorm Private E-2

Thanks for your input. Its in the computer shop being repaired. We will see how it goes!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds