Help! Dell Dell Laptop Won't Acknowledge it's AC Adapter!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TLM323, Sep 21, 2006.

1. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Please Help!

I am using my Dell Inspiron 6000 (as I type this) on AC Power ... but ... if I unplug it, I instantly get a bubble that says "Low Battery, You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work" (the battery is BRAND NEW, from the latest recall). Obviously, it is NOT getting charged (on AC Power). I also get a box that says "Your Internal Network Card has been de-activated to optimize battery life." Then when I plug it back in (to AC Power) I get the message "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation." THAT is the adapter that I am using! A Dell 65W, it came with the laptop when I bought it (1 Year Ago) and it's working right now (I'm plugged in), and it's green light is on. Also, (when plugged in) I get that box back that says "Your internal nework card is currently active."

What is wrong here???
    Thank you for your help.
    ~ Tammy
    Thanks, Tammy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

First guess? You got a new battery and it is a bad battery. Call Dell and try another battery. Either way, since this happened following the recall, it is safer to try Dell first. Wish I could be of more help, but this appears to be a problem you can not fix yourself.

Removed your email from post, thats how you get on spammers lists, dont post your email publicly :)

3. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Thank you for advice (and for removing my email address!) ... this problem actually occurred BEFORE I got the new battery (and I thought, WOW, what timing, a new battery, this 1 Year Old one, must be dying!) ... but ... it didn't fix the problem. I can't imagine that BOTH BATTERIES are bad??? I can't contact Dell, I am not under warranty (I got the laptop from a Credit Card Company). Believe me, I've tried.

4. Major Attitude

Oh man, no, my first guess is truly a hardware issue. Laptops are a bit more difficult then desktop PC's because "basically" one of two things is dead. The motherboard or the display. Display costs more then the whole laptop in most cases. In your case, either the power supply is bad or something in the laptop itself which is usually the motherboard. Its usually cheaper to replace a board then spend hours fixing a problem. I would see if you have a local Dell authorized repair shop and get an estimate, you might get lucky.

Please let me know how it turns out.

5. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Oh no ... I hope SO MUCH that you're wrong. I just had to RESTORE this laptop (back to it's original configurations) a couple of weeks ago. Per the Computer Geeks at Best Buy, I got the "blue screen of death." If it IS the motherboard (which is the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I am having right now with another DEAD Laptop in my house) or a display issue ... why did my restoring it, correct the "blue screen" problem??? Ugh. I will NEVER purchase a laptop again!!!

Thanks for the help.

6. Major Attitude

Blue screens are pretty rare nowadays and often can be a hardware or driver issue. A reformat should have fixed that.

7. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Re: Help! Dell Laptop Won't Acknowledge it's AC Adapter!

The restore did fix the blue screen problem, but not the AC Adapter Messages (I first described). I am using the laptop, right now.

8. Major Attitude

Take it in, you will need to know if it is the adapter or a problem with the laptop, you might get lucky.

9. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

They want $160 to look at it ... that's why I posted here. I just spent $150 on it, 2 weeks ago ... backing up the iTunes & Photos (before I could restore it). I don't want to keep dumping $$$ into it, and then (in the end) I have to replace it (with a desktop, I might add!). I just can't believe that I am sitting here with 2 Laptops (the other one is only 2 years old!) ... that I spent over $2000 for ... with 2 blown Motherboards! I didn't know laptops were such trash. I really want to scream! :O| But ... thanks (again) for your help!

10. Major Attitude

I wish I could make it better, its why were here, I am sorry. As you have seen, no one else has responded. It's not that laptops are garbage, I just dont think they are a good choice for all day, every day use. I hope you get it straightened out.

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

12. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Thank you for that information ... mine isn't on the list (unfortunately). I guess I could try buying a new one (just in case that's the issue) ... I could always take it back, if it's not. I appreciate your help.

13. TimW

Have been searching forums and news ....seems a few have had better luck using the 90 watt ac adapter ...something dell doesn't tell you ...the 65 watt is the minimum.

14. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Thank you for your efforts! I will try that ...

15. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

I went to the Dell Website ... and the 90 watt adapters are not compatible with my Inspiron 6000. :O(

16. TimW

17. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Thanks (again) for your efforts. MINIMALLY, Dell could LIST the product as out of stock ... so you don't think that there isn't such a product! What a shame.

18. TLM323

TLM323 Private E-2

Thought you should know ... an odd thing happened (trying to order this adapter from ebatts) ... when I hit "place order now" I got a Credit Card Authorization Form?!? They wanted me to sign it & fax it to them?!? I have NEVER seen this before (and sadly, I buy stuff online almost daily). I called them to inquire and not only did they want the form, but a COPY OF MY DRIVER'S LICENSE????!!!???? It made me very uncomfortable. Needless to say I cancelled the order. I will check other places. Thanks again!

19. TimW

Well, that was rude ....off to the searching again ....dum-de-dum di ....:)

20. TimW

21. lynneberg

lynneberg Private E-2

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to revive it b/c I had the exact same problem with my dell 600m laptop starting when it was about 9 months old. After 3 different AC adapters (none part of recall), I managed by wiggling the adapter connector around in the port until it connected, then setting my glasses case on top of the connector to hold it down. Over time, I've had to use heavier and heavier stuff to keep the connection, and now I can't get any power out of the adapter at all. But I wanted to suggest wiggling it around because you can at least get your data.

But my real question: now the thing won't get any power at all, and my battery is dead. Ethernet port also going bad--likely the motherboard? Do I have a snowball's chance of successfully replacing that myself? Dell wants $700 to do it. I am not so tech-savvy but have done very minor stuff inside the case before. I tried to crack it open with no luck a few minutes ago.

I have also seen stuff on the web about soldering the ac port back onto the motherboard. Has anyone ever tried this? Would that be better or worse than trying to replace the motherboard?

Any help appreciated.
    Lynne

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds