high definition audio driver package kb888111

Discussion in 'Software' started by vonbock, May 29, 2008.

1. vonbock

vonbock Private E-2

I recently installed an Asus Xonar dx audio card in my home built pc.
    I was previously using the onboard sound and audio drivers that came with the motherboard.
    My set up is:
    Asus P5B deluxe MB
    Intel Core2Duo E6700 2.66ghz
    Asus Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX
    2x 1gig Kingston HyperX
    Windows XP sp2
    Asus Xonar DX PCI-E x1 slot

I turned off the onboard sound in the bios and uninstalled the audio drivers before installing the xonar drivers.
    however I found in my add/remove program list the "high definition audio driver package kb888111. In researching it appears to be a part of a windows update.
    My question is do I need to remove this driver package to properly run my xonar drivers ?
    the card appears to be running well over all but there are some small glitches, such as a stutter at the start of sentances in some games and an occasional popping sound.
    I am not sure if these are from my speakers(not the greatest 5.1 speakers from Sicuro) or if it is due to the sound card. I have checked for updated drivers and found one update patch, but it does not seem to address any of the glitches I have noticed.
    any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The KB888111 is the MS UAA, which is needed for HD sound.
    I am not familiar with the drivers you are talking about. The best thing would be to research them at your motherboard site and at the Xonar site to see if the UAA is a part of the Xonar package.
    You can also look in the driver package, if you have it on disc. Look for KB888111 within the package. If it's there, you need it. If it's not there, it's not really a sign that you don't need it. Some drivers have it as a separate install.
    Another thing to try, is to look for the MS UAA Bus driver in Device Manager. It would be within the System Devices section. If it's only needed for your onboard sound and not your card, it shouldn't be showing there, if you have the onboard sound disabled in BIOS.
    If it is in the Device Manager, try disabling it to see if it is interfering with your sound. If your sound quits, re-enable it.

Edit: Make sure your DirectX is fully up to date and that your Windows Updates are also current.

3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

after googling your sound card http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=10219 i found your sound chip is high defination so i would leave the high defination audio update installed.

relay12 likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds