Can delete file – File name to long

Discussion in 'Software' started by deadpool7372, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpool7372

deadpool7372 Private E-2

My profile will not load when I boot my machine. I get an error when loading that my profile can’t be loaded because of an invalid file. Then it lists the file(s).When I log in under Administrator I can find these files. There is two folders in my Temp folder for IE. In each folder is three files that can not be deleted as the file names are two long. If you try and do anything with the files the computer freaks out and explorer crashes and recovers…
    So you can't:
    - drag them to the trash can
    - right click and read properties, so I don’t know the file type

I have tried deleting them by:
    - using Linux, system tells me I don’t have the rights to modify
    - using DOS – I cant delete the files in DOS as I don’t know the file extension, the files do show in DOS
    - I tried many third party “cleaners” and the programs either skip the files or freaks out and crashes

I have tried a few more things but I cant think of them now.
    Sorry for the long post…
    Pics are here and here .
    Any advise?-DeadPool

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

have you tried booting into safe mode to delete these

3. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

My first thought is your using the programs at the time, and they won?t let you delete them. You might try and changing the name of the file, and then deleting?wobbles

4. deadpool7372

deadpool7372 Private E-2

General_Lee_Stoned - Safe mode does not work eather. The file name is to long so Windows freeks out no matter how I log on.

WobblesRArt - Can't change the name of the files. If you right click on them nothing happens becouse Windows freeks out.

The files are not in use in anyway.
    I have ran a virus scan(s) as well...

-Dead

5. General_Lee_Stoned

ok deadpool
    your best bet would be to actually delete the containg folder using Dellater
    this will delete them on reboot
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=dellater
    you will need to know the exact folder path though if you havent used this program or not sure how to use it let me know

or Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
    Close all open programs.
    Click Start > Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE
    Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.
    Leave Task Manager open.
    Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the undeletable file is located in.
    At the command prompt type DEL where is the file you wish to delete.
    Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
    Close Task Manager.

6. deadpool7372

deadpool7372 Private E-2

That might just work General_Lee_Stoned...
    Give me a bit and I will try.
    I will post results here afterwords.

Thanks buddy! :p
    -Dead

7. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

What about the old delete ????.??e or what ever in Dos?

8. deadpool7372

deadpool7372 Private E-2

General_Lee_Stoned - Still a no go. The file(s) are not recognized due to the invalid content... At least it seems that way. Perhaps I ran the program wrong??...

Greyhound - Hu? :)

(Thanks for the help so far.)

-Dead

9. General_Lee_Stoned

Are you saying you used Dellater?
    What you need to know is the exact path of that folder W3EJ63AT
    so im assuming from your info its in your IE temp folder
    so it should be something like this
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\W3EJ63AT
    Right you download Dellater extract the exe somewhere you know it is for example C:\Dellater you then locate the exe right click it and create shortcut you should then see the shortcut so right click the shortcut and select properties and in the target line change this to the path you want to delete
    then apply and ok for example
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\W3EJ63AT
    should then look like this double click the shortcut reboot and it should wipe that file :)

10. wally worm

wally worm Private E-2

Easiest way to do this (I had the problem myself), is to take the s, h and r attributes off of Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\W3EJ63AT. Then just delete. I had to do it using DOS, but it worked. I tried the dellater and it did work but the file name was so long that it would only fit if I put dellater off the root of c: and used all short names for the folders. Much easier to attrib -s -h -r.

11. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

In dos, in the directory in question - dir /x. Note the short name of the file.

Delete using the 8.3 name

12. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

in DOS, del *.* used to take care of anything. Just do a dir *.* first to see what it will get. Might have to do a chmod on them to set the to r/w, non-hidden, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds