Eudora disconnects me from internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by luv2rallye, Nov 19, 2004.

1. luv2rallye

luv2rallye Private E-2

I use Eudora 6.1 email program on XP (with all latest updates). When I'm connected and Eudora is running and I'm not doing anything with any browser (I.E. browser is up but I'm just using Eudora to read or compose email), it disconnects me after about 20 minutes with a message stating it will disconnect due to network inactivity. I do not leave mail on the server but have Eudora download it when launched (and when told to check mail). I have both Eudora's "Network Open Timeout" and "Network Timeout After" set at 3000 seconds but I can change these to any value and it makes no difference. I can force Eudora to check mail (to get network activity) as often as I want but it still kicks me off after 20 minutes. The problem goes away if I close Eudora.

I'm tired of being kicked off every time I compose a long email or take extra time to read emails or just leaving Eudora up more than 20 minutes. This problem has always been present since day 1 six years ago. I've contacted Netzero (my ISP) and they said it's not their problem and to contact Eudora. Eudora won't provide technical help to those not in "paid" mode (I'm in "sponsored" mode) so they won't even talk to me or accept emails (I've tried). Any ideas?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i would suggest using a different email program .. if they have tech support that bad

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Are you on Dial-Up?

if so check in the dial-up properties that "Uncheck Disconnect if idle for [X] minutes" is not ticked as that is a common cause of being disco'd on dial-up.

also in Eudora there is a disconnect after receive/send mail..

Click the Tools menu and select Options.
    Select the Internet Dialup category on the left.
    Uncheck Hang up after receiving and sending.
    Click OK.

as for Eundora's tech support, I find that a shot in the foot for them as the company I work for trailed Eudora as a mail client, but before we bought it we wanted a stationary question answered... after 4 emails to sales and tech support and getting the same answer "we can only offer support in paid mode" well as I said to them we are not going to buy it if it wont do what we want! so they lost on on £££££s

4. luv2rallye

luv2rallye Private E-2

Where is this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds